43

During lunch the next day, Jasper found Books and sat beside him with all of the books he'd been given.
"I finished reading these. Did you know that it's especially hard for Elementals to learn control?"
"Yeah."
"Did you know that if I suppress the powers that it'll kill me?"
"Yeah."
"Did you know that only twenty five percent of Elementals survive their missions?"
"Yeah."
Jasper frowned.
"Well, if you knew, why didn't you just tell me?"
Books shrugged.
"Eh. Didn't really feel like it."
Jasper frowned.
"You made me read five books about Elementals because you didn't feel like giving the knowledge to me yourself."
"Yep."
Jasper sighed.
"Sounds about right."
Books laughed.
After lunch, the boys exercised. Jasper took notice of Roderick's absence every other hour. By dinner, he wondered if the albino was gonna be ok. Skins tried to assure him that he was fine. So, Jasper dropped it. The next morning, Roderick was eating breakfast with everyone, but he stayed distanced. More than usual. Jasper didn't know what to make of it. He didn't know what to make of anything Roderick did, though. He was definitely a strange one. Still... Jasper felt a little on edge with this. The day passed uneventfully. He couldn't focus very well, though. He went to bed wondering what he could do. Listen? Try and understand? Roderick would be his next project.