Chapter 5: Wording it Just Right

"Would you like to hang out?" his text read.

Taehyung had finally gathered the courage to ask you out. Just do something together, he didn't mean to make it sound like a date. He wondered if this would be okay with you. He wasn't sure what you thought of him, if you just wanted a friend or were open to more.

You sounded rather cautious with your wording sometimes and he had found himself trying to find the right things to say as he learned what you responded better to. To be honest, he wasn't sure what he wanted either. But he was so invested in getting to know you.

As put off as he was by the fake girls that approached him, he was drawn to you and that was kind of unsettling to him. Every little thing he learned about you had him at the edge of his seat, it was never predictable, yet it was oddly familiar and even relatable sometimes.

Jungkook made him notice how ridiculous it was getting at times. Despite him warning him to get off his back with the teasing, he hadn't quit. Specially making it awkward when the rest of the band was around and the maknae knew he was the only one who was aware of why he was paying more attention to his phone lately.

The younger one took pleasure in distracting him when he was immersed in his wording. He'd be thinking how to phrase something, biting on his bottom lip in concentration. And that would be his cue to make a random question or ask him to hand him something close to him.

"Have you seen my boots?" he'd ask innocently

"No" the older one would answer not even really thinking about it.

"Could you hand me the notebook on your right?" and Tae would look up quickly to locate it and practically shove the object in his hands looking back at his screen as soon as he knew where to aim his arm.

"Do you ever wonder what Yeontan thinks?" he'd start biting harder on his skin as he got more and more irritated and Kookie would keep pushing.

"Hey, do you think" and he would suddenly be interrupted by a groan and a cushion that his hyung had flung at him in exasperation trying to get him to shut up already.

You stared at the screen in horror. This didn't sound like he was asking you out, right? Could he maybe want to be friends? You smiled for a second, but then shook it off. In your head that just wasn't possible, there had to be other motives. When had that ever been the case.

Behind the screen it was easier and safer to talk, but face to face was a whole different situation. You'd be awkward and you'd risk being either too friendly or too cold. Guys who had told you they weren't looking for a relationship had made you feel more comfortable and you had ended up being too open to them to the point they ended up making unexpected advances.

You were overthinking this, but how could you not? You were craving to meet the right person, but you were terrified of showing yourself and being ridiculed or humiliated. At some point you gave up trying, you just blocked the idea of finding someone out of your system and assumed you'd be forever alone.

The last time you had a crush was a distant memory and you'd fallen into the temptation of trying to meet someone through dating apps a couple times. You'd be hopeful for a few days and then decide it was a bad idea and give up. You just got on your nerves with how anxious you got and all the second guessing. No one should have this much power over you.

The constant battle in your head had kept you from replying. Did you want to give Taehyung a chance? He was not just any guy, no matter what kind of relationship you could form, he'd be in a really dangerous place. He was in the public eye and you could only imagine how exposed to be scrutinized by petty strangers who didn't even know him he was.

For a moment you closed your eyes and tried to stop the thoughts, picture your mind blank. You took a deep breath, opened your eyes and quickly replied before you could have any sort of idea to back off. Sent.

"Sure, what do you want to do?" when Tae read your reply shortly after, he smiled smugly. Another step in the right direction.

"What is it?" Jimin asked puzzled as his friend stared proudly at no one. He snapped out of his own little world and looked at his best friend.

"Uh, what are you talking about?" he played dumb as if his behavior was completely normal. Thankfully he just shrugged and went back to what he was doing. He wasn't sure why he hadn't told him yet. It was all too new and he was sure he could push you away in the blink of an eye.

It would be embarrassing to share his eagerness and then admit it had barely lasted. Is this the thrill of the chase? He wondered and then quickly dismissed the thought. That's the dumbest thing you've ever thought, he scolded himself internally.

Jimin looked at him once more when he laughed softly, he was smiling again. He just shook his head amused, something was definitely going on, but he knew Tae would come to him and share it eventually. He could only keep to himself for so long until he exploded.

 He could only keep to himself for so long until he exploded

-