Chapter 19: Residual Trauma

While Taehyung prepared breakfast, you took a shower and changed into one of the outfits you bought the day before. In the end you hadn't worn the other one at all the day before and you felt bad about it. You already couldn't feel comfortable with the fact he insisted on buying you clothes when you had all you needed at home.

You wore an oversized cotton-thread sweater in a color that complimented your skin tone, the neck was wide and round and you adjusted it to fall from one of your shoulders. For the bottom you wore high-waisted skinny white jeans and a modest brown belt.

Tae had suggested the classic one with the gold GC buckle that is a top fashion trend at the moment, but you'd honestly never be able to wear that on daily basis. You already wondered how you would walk around wearing anything Gucci when you clearly couldn't afford the smallest item in the store.

You looked at yourself in the mirror, he sure knew how to pick stuff out that made you look better than you thought you could. You both made a good team as you combined your style with his suggestions. You usually just bought what you liked, you didn't really care about fashion, but you definitely were open to tips on what was flattering on your body type.

When you walked into the kitchen, Tae looked at you up and down smirking. You balled your hands gripping the long sleeves of the sweater and covered your nose and cheeks.

"Stop it, you're embarrassing me" he heard your muffled words.

"You look great with everything combined though" he said holding the smirk and looking at you with a raised eyebrow.

"And you're gross" you shot back and glared at him. His eyes widened in shock.

"Why?" he said playfully, though he wasn't sure if he was actually offended.

"I don't want to feel like a piece of mea" you mumbled.

"What? I never said that" he stopped to think how to explain his thoughts to you so you wouldn't take it that way, but he got frustrated when he couldn't.

"Is it wrong to find you attractive?" he said defensively, "you know that's not all I care about."

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows as he walked into the dinning room with the last few things needed to be ready to have breakfast. He sat down sulking and focused on his food, the frown not leaving his face.

You took a seat thinking about your words, it's true that men had only approached you because of your looks, which was baffling because you didn't think you looked that good.

They'd never had good intentions. But you weren't sure why you felt uncomfortable even when Taehyung said something that was supposed to be nice, even if you knew that was not the case for him.

You sighed, this was something new to you, finding more ways in which bullying had screwed with you even all these years later made you feel so powerless. You just wanted to leave all that behind. Tae looked up when he heard you and you took the opportunity.

"I'm sorry, you're not gross, I just can't help my feelings, my heart and my mind don't agree with me" you said hoping it would make sense to him somehow.

He didn't know what to say. Tae still didn't think he needed to know any details about what made you feel this way, he didn't want to bring that back up to the surface. But he thought it was concerning how much it had hurt and affected you.

"Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?" he asked softly.

"You've been really understanding, I appreciate that. I guess all I can ask for is patience. I wish I knew how to fix myself, I'm so broken" you said and your lip quivered.

He extended his arm, hand facing up, in an attempt to comfort you. You looked at him with glassy eyes and held it tightly.

"I can do that for you" he said and smiled reassuringly with a quick nod.

Once you'd finished breakfast, you cuddled on the couch once more. He put some music on, something nice and moody to go along with the rainy weekend. He observed you as you looked at the rain, deep in thought and he got an idea.

"Do you want to know why I care about you?" he said and you turned to look at him puzzled.

"The day we met I refused to go on the double date with your friend and Jungkookie because you seemed uncomfortable, but I did that thinking about you and not me, and then realized I'd lost the only chance to see you again" you were shocked, was he that interested from the beginning?

"When you showed up at our door I was so stunned I didn't know what to do so you wouldn't go, but I was afraid if I did something, you'd tell me to get lost like that guy at the party who invited you to dance" he continued feeling a little embarrassed now and you kept listening with knitted eyebrows.

"I remember the day we had our first date you wore an off-shoulder gingham top that made your collarbones and neck stand out. This sweater reminds me of it, that's why I like it" you smiled at him touched, but you weren't sure where he was going with this.

"I got frustrated afterwards because you wouldn't hold my hand and that's why I thought you didn't like me, but then you told me about what they did to you and I felt like I had to be the person that no one ever was to you. Make up for it" he swallowed hard, he'd gone a lot deeper into his thoughts than he had initially planned.

"Even now, I still make a conscious effort not to say or do anything that might make you feel bad, because I care about you and I don't want to be the reason you're hurting" your gaze was soothing and you looked at him in a way that made his heart jump, that made him feel loved.

"And I'm sorry you're hot on top of all of that" he smirked as he ended on a lighter note, "so no, you are not just a piece of meat to me. You were speechless, that's what he was getting at.

"Thank you" is all you could think of. "I could kiss you right now" you added chuckling. Taehyung looked at you confused. Could? Why could? He wondered, what was stopping you?

"Then why don't you?" he stared at you from under his lashes, with eyes that felt like they could pierce into your soul.

A mischievous smirk drew itself on his face, but it was not the light-hearted and playful kind you were used to seeing.

"Hm?" he licked his lips carefully and hummed, waiting for your answer.

Wasn't this supposed to be all an act on stage?

-