Party time

Mario and Luigi stand before Peach's castle watching as various toads scramble about; going in, coming out, and going around the castle, decorating trees with streamers of pink and blue. "Wow, this is going to be great! Look at this Luigi, it is going to be a spectacular party," Mario predicts excitedly.

"Yeah, a great party," Luigi notes sarcastically as he watches a toad struggling to carry a large wrapped box across the bridge. The toad slowly makes it to the end of the bridge and plops down in exhaustion. Luigi quickly hops over and grabs the box, "Where does it go," he asks the worn out toad.

"Oh just in the side garden on the table with all the others," he instructs between heaves. "Thanks."

"No problem," Luigi replies as he turns for the garden. "Hey Mario, shouldn't we have some sort of present for the Princess? Being her birthday and all..."

"Oh no, mama mia! I can't believe I forgot to get Peach a present," Mario exclaims in disbelief and worry. "Wait, I got it! Luigi, I'll be back in an hour or two," he informs as he runs back toward town.

"Mario where are you going," Luigi yells after him.

"Keep Peach occupied for me!" Mario disappears in the distance and Luigi sighs.

I doubt that he is going to bring back something to give her from the both of us. I am going to have to come up with something on my own, something simple. He sighs at the implications of that thought.

Flashback

Luigi wakes up to the cold, brisk morning no wanting to get up. He swings his feet out of bed and onto the floor for a second. "Ahhh!" He quickly places his feet back under the covers as they feel as if frozen by the brief contact with the icy floor. Now fully awake, Luigi leans over the edge and digs his slippers out from underneath the bed. He slips his feet in and wraps his blanket around him, taking it with him to get the mail. Snow wavers down from the clouds and blankets the usually colorful world in white, "Brrr..." Luigi chatters as he dashes to and from the mailbox. "Nothing but junk," he tosses the letters onto the table and notices a folded note with his name on it. "Okie dokie," he mutters confused as the opens it.

Luigi,

I had to go to Sar...Sa...land? Oh fooey! Some other kingdom to save some princess, don't worry I'll be back soon!

-Mario

PS- Check on Princess Toadstool for me, please? Thanks bro. Owe ya one!

Luigi sighs, "Always having some grand adventure while I sit here bored out of my mind. Argh!" Luigi eats breakfast and gets dressed before setting out for the castle. "I guess I could tell her while Mario's gone," he ponders aloud looking at Mario's picture of her on the desk. "It is the best time, but I have a bad feeling about this. What if I upset her? I don't want to do that; she's too nice of a person to do that too, but I got to tell her sooner or later." Grabbing his thick green parka, he opens the door and braves the weather to walk to Toadstool's castle.

A couple of minutes later, he stands in the foyer waiting for Toadsworth to come back as he musters the courage to continue with his plan.

"Master Luigi," Toadsworth beckons from the tope of the stairs, "the princess will see you now." Luigi climbs the stairs and thanks Toadsworth as he heads downstairs. Taking on last deep breath, Luigi gently knocks on the door.

"Yes, come in Luigi," Peach answers with what sounds like a distraught tone. He slowly opens the door and walks in.

Looking around he cannot seem to find the princess anywhere, "Princess? Princess? Princess, where are you," Luigi asks afraid something was wrong.