The..Last Word

Mario sighs as he pokes the piece of chocolate gnocchi cake with his fork, completely uninterested and distracted.

"Mario, you have barely touched your cake, its your favorite," Peach notes concerned. "I know you're worried about your brother, but you can't worry like this. You will give yourself and ulcer if you do!"

"I can't help it. I'm so frustrated with him! No matter what I do I can't get him to cheer up or even give me a smile! I feel like we've regressed back to when you and I had started dating. He isolates himself in our room and only leaves to do chores around the house," Mario complains.

"Give Master Luigi some time Master Mario," Toadsworth interjects between bites. "I am sure after some time he will come around."

"Yeah, but I have a feeling that this time it might take a lot longer than last time," Mario assumes as he looks over to Peach, nonverbally communicating why he assumes such.

The Mushroom Kingdom princess nods in agreement. "I fear it might be longer than any of us want, as an important decision was made," Peach hints to Mario while trying to keep Toadsworth in the dark.

"Oh boy," Mario mumbles, "it just gets worse."

"Oh yes, Chizier was suppose to call me and let me know how that went," the elderly toad adds casually. The plumber and princess stare at him in astonishment. "Master Mario, Princess did you honestly believe I did not know what was going on? I am a royal consul, its my job to know what is going on in my family and those close by."

"Well, I'll never underestimate you again," Mario replies apologetically.

"Its is all right Master Mario, I understand you wishing to protect your brother's personal life. I have to say Master Luigi is not as opaque about his emotions like he should be."

Mario cannot help, but let out a small chuckle. "I know, but he tries."

"Well practice does make perfect; he will just need to partake in a lot of practice. A couple years worth perhaps."

"Toadsworth that is not nice," Peach responds slightly shocked by the consul's bluntness.

"Sorry Princess, it was a little candid," Toadsworth apologizes. After an accepting nod from Peach, Toadsworth continues. "Back to the subject at hand, I do not understand why Chizier has not called yet. Hmm, maybe I should call him and check up on the situation."

"Mario we should do the same," the blonde princess blurts out in epiphany.

"Call Chizier," Mario asks confused.

"No we should visit Luigi and check up on him. You know, go cheer him up," Peach explains.

"Excellent idea! If he won't come out and have fun then we will take the fun to him," Mario happily exclaims.

"We can go after we finish eating," Peach notes with a smile.

"Now Princess hold on! I will not let you leave unescorted," Toadsworth interjects protectively.

"I will be with Mario, isn't that good enough," the princess asks vexed.

"Not with Bowser on the loose once more," the elderly consul notes.

"But I do not need a whole army following me," Peach argues.

"No army, but I would feel better if you would allow me to come along," the consul negotiates.

"All right," Peach agrees as Mario rolls his eyes.

"Excellent after dessert then," Toadsworth reiterates as they all turn back to the cake in front of them.