Chapter 1

I had, like, 14 ideas written down, so I just decided to do this one. Please enjoy!

{Lucy POV}

Death. Such a cruel thing.

But then again, life isn't any better.

I'm Lucy Heartfilia. I'm your average 16-year-old junior.

Except, I'm not that average.

Mom dies of cancer.

Dad dies in car crash.

What the heck?

I'm the only Heartfilia left, and I'm thinking of joining God up there in heaven. Why not? Doesn't sound too bad. I've heard everything is made of gold. Very shiny.

Papa died a month before, so his death still hurt a lot. He was rushing because he was late. He crashed his car into a truck. The driver survived, but my dad?

Not spared.

His body was found under the crushed metal, his arms almost ripped out.

At the funeral, a lot of people came to comfort me and stuff.

But I was the only family there.

Apparently, this other family found me and wanted to adopt me, so I'm being moved. Again.

This family is called the Dragneels. Apparently, they have a son my age, so they wanted us to get along. Ha, no thanks.

"Alright, we're here!" The orphanage director opened the door. It was a building in a neighborhood. "It's not their neighborhood. They live pretty far so we decided to meet halfway." I stepped out to my new family.

Four people were waiting for me.

I pretended to not have seen them. One had flowy, salmon hair. Another, a lot taller, had the same hair, and the woman had black hair. The boy standing next to Pinky had black hair.

It's crazy how genes work.

"Mr. Dragneel!" The director called out. By the way, the director's name is Scissors. 

Please note that his real name is Scissoro-San, but his nickname is Scissors.

"Yes, hello, Scissoro-San." The man said. I stood patiently next to him as the adults talked.

"Natsu, Zeref, why don't you accompany your new sister while we talk?" The man asked.

Uh, no.

"Sure thing, Dad."

They motioned for me to follow them. We walked on the sidewalk. The buildings were pretty tall.

"So, what's your name?" The black-haired boy asked. "I'm Zeref. This is Natsu."

I clenched my fists. I hate talking. I hate them. I hate this. I wanna leave. I wanna go back to the moldy, shaky building known as the orphanage and sleep in unwashed futons. Anywhere but here.

"Um...hello?" The salmon-haired boy, Natsu, waved his hand in front of me. "Are you ignoring us or something?"

I looked down at my feet. My blonde hair fell to my shoulders.

"Hey!" Suddenly, I was thrown to the wall, and trapped in a pair of arms.

"Wha—Hey!" Zeref said. "Why'd you do that?"

I squeezed my eyes shut. Sensory overload shit. I dunno. My head was pounding, and my chest was heaving up and down.

"We asked a question." He muttered. I gulped.