Chapter 7

{Lucy POV}

It was a very lively dinner.

Mrs. Dragneel helped me eat, though I insisted I didn't need help.

"Oh, don't be silly. You just came out of the hospital today."

She fed me a spoonful of rice, so I just ate it.

"So, when can she go back to school?" Zeref asked.

"I can go back tomorrow." I said, and Mrs. Dragneel looked at me like I was crazy.

"Lucy, you need rest."

"Mom, she just fainted. You don't have to overreact." Natsu said. He was picking at his food.

Mrs. Dragneel pouted, crossing her arms.

I laughed nervously. "Ok, ok. I'll stay for one more night, and then go back to school the day after tomorrow, ok?"

"Tch." Natsu set his fork down, and stared at his plate.

"Oh, we're out of water." Zeref, said looking around. "I'll go get more—"

"No, it's ok! Stay seated, I'll go get it." I said, standing up.

So, this house was weird. They had a separate room for their fridge and freezer. I guess they like taking up space.

Anyways, I walked down the hall, and retrieved two bottles of water. As I was walking back, I heard a slam of a spoon.

"Natsu! How can you speak to your mother like that?"

I stopped.

I shouldn't be interrupting a family discussion.

Ok, it wasn't a discussion. But something told me I shouldn't walk in.

"What? It's true. Ever since we've adopted her, you've been only caring for her!"

"Natsu! How can you say that?" Zeref asked. I clenched the two water bottles in my hands.

"Natsu, honey, it isn't true."

"You've never yelled at me in your life, and what happens when Lucy faints? It's as if someone exploded bombs in the house!

"Natsu, it's natural that I worry—!"

"What about when I fainted? You didn't yell at anyone!"

Silence.

"Exactly. You know I hate her, you know I do! She doesn't belong with us! Ever since she's joined the family, it's never been the same!"

I realized just now that tears were falling down my face.

They were arguing because of me.

Me. It's all me.

"Why does she have to stay? What, just because her parents died? Why didn't you choose a guy? Or at least another girl?"

"Natsu, you're going too far." Mr. Dragneel said. "We chose her because she was a kind, deserving girl. A girl her age doesn't deserve to stay stuck in an orphanage full of kids! End of discussion."

"What, so you adopted her because you felt BAD?"

"You know that's not what I'm saying!"

The tenion rose when they saw me. I gave the bottles to Zeref and turned to Natsu. He was staring at me, like I was the most disgusting thing he's ever seen.

"I told you not to talk about my parents like that...And don't yell at your parents, they didn't do anything wrong." I muttered, and ran out of the room.

"Lucy!" Zeref called after me. I ran all the way to my room and closed the door. I got a quick glimpse of Zeref's concerned face before it slammed shut.

I slumped to the floor, leaning against the wall.

I cried.

No better way to say it.

My head went to my arms, and I sobbed. I ignored the banging behind me and the calls.

I was a nuisance to Natsu.

Maybe I was a nuisance to the family too.

Was I really just a speck of unimportant dust in this world?

The familiar wave of sadness washed over me again.

"I want to see Mama and Papa again..."

"Lucy, no! Please, let us in!"

They must've thought I was harming myself.

"Don't do anything rash, Lucy! Don't take Natsu's words to heart, please! Open the door, please!"

I looked around the room.

For a while, after my parents died, I thought, maybe I can be happy again. I'm in a family that cares about me. They treat me well, and I made new friends.

That's what I thought.

"Hey, Lucy." Mrs. Dragneel said. "You're our family. We love you! We didn't 'choose you out of pity'. You deserved a home, and we offered you one! We're glad you're here. And we love you, so please, don't be like this."

I guess only a mother's words can touch anyone's hearts. It's amazing. I stood up and wiped my tears. I opened the door, and was hugged by Zeref.

"You silly! I was worried!" Zeref said, pulling me close to his chest. I cried into it, feeling all of his love for me(as a sibling, obviously) poor into me.

Soon, I was on my knees, being hugged by everyone but Natsu.

"I'm so sorry he said that..." Mr. Dragneel said. "Seriously, he needs to be taught a lesson."

"Agreed." Zeref said. "Where'd he go?"

"Locked himself into his room probably." Mr. Dragneel said.

I laughed slightly.

"You feeling a bit better?" Mr. Dragneel asked. Mrs. Dragneel wiped my tears away.

{Natsu POV}

When I turned around, Lucy was standing there, a look of shock on her face. Tears were rolling down from her eyes, as she clutched onto the two water bottles like they were her lifeline.

I slapped my forehead.

I was in my room. They were having an enormous pity-party for poor little Lucy.

I sighed and threw myself against the wall, sliding down.

"She just had to be right there." I muttered, looking at my ceiling. "She just...has to have the wrong timing..."

I got up, and walked over to the shelf. I ran my hand over a picture of my mom.

My REAL mom.

"Hey, Mom..." I said. "I did something stupid again today."