Chapter Four

Kara had stayed away from Lena for a week, wanting to give her some time before approaching her again. She had listened to Maggie and Alex's version of their conversation with Lena and she didn't know what to think of it.

    "We thought we convinced her, I swear." Alex shook her head in disbelief.

    "Yeah, she just suddenly tensed up again at the end." Her girlfriend, Maggie, agreed.

    They had explained to Kara that Lena was more like the Lena they all were friends with in the beginning, but she had suddenly grown hostile at the end. They can't figure out what triggered her to shut them out so quickly.

    "Maybe I should go over there." Kara stood up.

    "Are you sure that's a good idea?" Alex asked, worried.

    Maggie put her hand on her shoulder, silently motioning to her girlfriend that Kara should sort this out with Lena. She had avoided the confrontation for too long already.

    Alex noticed Maggie staring at her.

    "What? Is there something on my face?" Alex asked, her hand flying up to her cheeks.

    Maggie gave her a quick kiss. "No, I'm just glad we never had that whole ordeal. Too much drama."

    All Alex could do was smile and kiss her girlfriend back. She was worried for her friends. She had her own suspicions about Lena and Kara's whole relationship, but she never mentioned anything to them. She thought it would be better if they figured it out themselves.

    "Ms. Luthor, Kara Danvers is here." Jess spoke into her earpiece.

    Lena's breath caught in her throat. Previously, she had her secretary show in Kara immediately with no questions but she thought it was best for her to be prepared to face her best friend after they had gotten into a big fight.

    She stood up from her office chair, tugging at the helm of her nicely fitted suit jacket.

    "Show her in." Lena commanded.

    There was a soft knock against Lena's big wooden office doors before it was opened. Lena clenched her jaw subconsciously, fixing her dreamy green eyes on the woman in front of her. She took in Kara's tight blue dress, hugging every single one of her curves.

    "Lena." Kara's heart fluttered nervously against her chest and she couldn't help but overhear Lena's pounding heart beat as well.

    "Lena-" She repeated but was cut off.

    "I know why you're here, Kara." Lena started. "And I'm telling you to leave."

    Kara swallowed hard. She would've thought Lena was going to be at least a little more forgiving.

    "What?" Kara's voice broke slightly but Lena heard it. Kara focused her blue eyes on Lena. She distracted herself so she wouldn't start crying by staring intensely at Lena's intertwined fingers.

    Lena had given up hope that her best friend would ever show up in front of her again on a more personal note after she hadn't heard anything from her for weeks. Alex and Maggie had shown up last week to talk and she actively listened to what they had to say, but it wasn't Kara. She was hurt from Kara's betrayal and she thought she was important enough to the hero to take up some of her time but she never showed up. Originally, she thought Kara had been busy with Supergirl duties, but she hadn't even been on the news the past couple of days. Somehow, the crime rate in National City had gone down this past week.

    "Get out." Lena's voice was slightly lower. Flashes of anger kept coming back to her and her childhood memories followed. Everyone knows she had family issues, but they weren't aware of how deep. Kara was the only one who made herself understand what Lena had been through and that was why Lena trusted her so much. She saw images of Lillian, Lex, and Lionel in her head and then she heard the conversation between her and Kara when she revealed she was Supergirl. Lena's past scars clouded her judgment and made her angrier at Kara than she should've been, but Kara was in the wrong so Lena didn't care.