Chapter 1

Elizabeth awoke and found herself in her room, tucked in bed but the darkness still surrounded her. She paused for a moment before pushing the sheets off of her and grabbing the oil lamp on her bedside. She headed towards her bureau and opened one of the drawers. She emptied it of the few books she had, and stuck her hand in the drawer, pressing the latch that opened up the false bottom. In the drawer, covered in ten year's worth of dust was the medallion. She picked it up, and examined it closely, wiping it clean.

Slowly she undid the clasp at the back and placed it around her neck, the cold metal resting on her chest. Just then, there was a knock at the door, and she scurried over towards her bed, knocking over a chair in the process.

"Elizabeth." came her father's voice from behind the closed door, "Are you alright? Are you decent?"

She quickly hid the medallion in the bodice of her nightgown and tightened the robe around her, "Yes, yes!"

The door opened and her father entered along with three of the maids, who began to open up the curtains and allow, what Elizabeth thought was way too much sunlight into the room. "Still in bed at this hour? It's a beautiful day."

Elizabeth took a glance outside and silently agreed.

"I have a gift for you." her father added, holding up a large box for her.

Elizabeth opened it and picked the dress out of the box, "Oh, it's beautiful!" she exclaimed.

"Isn't it?" her father replied, knowingly.

She turned around, smirking. "May I inquire as to the occasion?" she asked, knowing full well that there was a catch to this gift.

"Does a father need an occasion to dote upon his daughter?" Governor Swann replied, feigning outrage. "Go on," he said to the maids, as they took Elizabeth behind the screen. "Actually, I, um . . . I had hoped you might wear it for the ceremony today."

Elizabeth was confused, "the ceremony?" she asked as the maids helped her change.

Governor Swann looked out of the window, "Captain Norrington's promotion ceremony."

Elizabeth stuck her head out from behind the curtain, hoping to catch a glance at her father's face. "I knew it!"

"Commodore Norrington, as he's about to become." her father continued. Elizabeth suddenly found herself unable to breathe and looked behind her as one of the maid's tightened her corset. She was about to tell the maid to loosen it, but her thoughts were interrupted by her father's next statement. "Fine gentlemen, don't you think?" Elizabeth was about to give an answer when her father rendered her breathless which thankfully helped her in this scenario. "He fancies you, you know. Elizabeth? How's it coming?"

She managed to reply, "it's difficult to say." she said, as the maid tightened the corset further.

"I'm told it's the latest fashion in London." said her father, with a hint of pride that he's made the right choice in dress.

"Well, women in London must have learned not to breathe," she replied ironically, as they pulled the dress over her head.

"My lord, you have a visitor." said one of the other servants. Her father quickly left the room and left her to continue getting dressed.

William Turner was hovering in the foyer of the Governor's house, waiting to deliver the Governor's sword. He turned around and began to examine a sconce on the wall. Just as he touched it, the gilded steel and gold came off in his hand. He quickly dropped it into the vase next to him, burying it in the umbrellas and canes as one of the servants came by.