Chapter 32

Gibbs marched up to Jack, and threw his Captain's coat over him, "let's put some distance between us and this island. Head out to open sea."

Jack nodded, "yes to the first, yes to the second, but only insofar as we keep to the shallows as much as possible."

"That seems contradictory," Zachary said with a grin, as he approached Jack tentatively.

Jack gave him a shocked look, "Well, look who decided to return back to Pearl." He gently wrapped a hand around his waist before whispering, "get tired of seeing the world?"

Zachary grinned, "I've done more than see the world, Jack. I assure you." He moved away from him and stood between Will and Jack, "we need your help."

"Elizabeth is in danger."'Will spoke quickly.

Jack rolled his eyes and began to steer the ship, one hand on the wheel, "Have you considered keeping a more watchful eye on her? Maybe just lock her up somewhere?"

"Jack, this is not funny!" Zachary said.

"She is locked up." began Will. "In a prison, bound to hang for helping you!"

"There comes a time when one must take responsibility for one's mistakes," Jack replied, not meeting Will's eyes.

Zachary turned to Jack. "Please, Jack. We did get the Pearl back for you." He replied.

Zachary tried again. This time, he moved into Jack's reach and began to whisper something into his ear. Judging by the excited look on Jack's face, and the tightening of his hand on Zachary's waist, Will had a hunch of what he was offering. Jack considered his new proposal before saying, "no, but can we still do that?"

Zachary rolled his eyes and nodded to Will, who pulled out a sword and pointed it at Jack. "I need that compass of yours, Jack. I must trade it for her freedom."

Jack pushed Will's sword aside, leaving Zachary with him, "Master Gibbs." he called.

"Captain," Gibbs responded.

"We have a need to travel upriver," Jack replied to him.

A look of misery erupted on Gibbs's face, "By need, d'you mean a... trifling need, uh... a.. fleeting, as in say in a passing fancy?"

"No, a resolute and unyielding need," Jack replied.

Will sighed, "what we need to do is make a seal for Port Royal with all haste."

Jack turned to Will, a mischievous grin on his face, "William... I will trade you the Compass if you will help me... to find this." He produced the cloth with the drawing of the key and showed it to the pair.

"You want me to find this?" Will asked, pointing to the key.

"No," Jack replied. "You want you to find this. Because the finding of this finds you incapacitorially finding and/or locating and you are discovering the detecting of a way to save your dolly belle ol' what's-her-face. Savvy?"

Zachary gave Jack a weird look before realizing what Jack was up to, while Will was confused as ever. "This... is going to save Elizabeth?" he asked, taking the cloth from him.

Jack hesitated before asking, "how much do you know about Davy Jones?"

"Not much," Will replied.

Jack nodded with enthusiasm as he returned to the wheel, leaving Will with the cloth. "Yeah, it's gonna save Elizabeth." Jack spun around on his heel and headed down into the ship towards the Captain's Quarters. When he felt someone push him aside as they rushed towards Zachary.