Chapter 21

"Will!" shouted Elizabeth from the top of the stairwell. She was half in tears and half in a state of panic. There wasn't much time left until the wedding, only two more weeks remained. While her father and Will seemed perfectly calm when it came to discussing the event, she'd become what Zachary would have definitely called a "worry-wart."

"Yes, Elizabeth?" Will replied, running up the stairs and to her side immediately, as though he was doing nothing before, but waiting for her beck and call.

She pulled out a piece of paper with the cake design on it, "I need you to give this to the baker's wife. She's making the cake."

Will nodded and took the paper, before he could head back down, he turned to her, "Is there anything else?" he asked, plastering a smile on his face. He was hoping Elizabeth couldn't tell that he was quite annoyed. She had a habit of sending him out constantly with tasks.

She looked thoughtful for a moment, "No, I am quite certain that is the last task I have for you, Will." She gave him a little wave before heading back into the tearoom, where she was surrounded by her other "friends", women of the higher class, who were all discussing the upcoming wedding with excitement.

Elizabeth entered the room and took her seat just as one of the other women named Eileen spoke, "It is strange that you decided to forgo the engagement with Commodore James Norrington for William Turner."

Elizabeth turned to the woman, glaring. "It is strange. But there is logic to my decision. I did not love the Commodore, and I would have not been happy with him. Unlike you, I think of more than just myself."

The other women, who were looking at Elizabeth with wide eyes quickly looked back down at their teacups, while Eileen had a hand to her forehead, scandalized. "I think of others just as much as I think of myself."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow and leaned in towards the woman, "Therein lies your problem." She turned to the other ladies, "Tea's over ladies, sorry." She got up and shooed the ladies out of the house, a fake smile on her face as the butler held the door open.

Just before he could close it, her father entered. "Elizabeth it's only 2:15 in the afternoon!" he said. "Surely you cannot be done with tea by now."

"I am done with petty women who have not anything better to criticize the decisions of one individual they barely know." she retorted, turning on her heel and storming into her room.

Her father stopped halfway up the stairs to her room and decided better of it. He knew that she would most likely prefer to be left alone for a while, and talk to Will.

Elizabeth sat in her room, flicking through a small journal Zachary had given to her a few years prior. According to the will they had found on Zachary's property, all of his personal belongings went to Elizabeth, but the house and furniture went to Will. Elizabeth had chosen to leave the majority of things in the house, as that was where she would be moving into once she and Will were married.

It had been quite difficult to get the lawyers to allow Zachary's will to be followed, for the man had not died, but had run away. Not to mention, that millions of kilometers away,  Gillette was attempting to get ahold of the property along with the finances attached to it. However, his lack of proof that he was even on good terms with Zachary and the fact that Zachary's name was on all of the paperwork for the assets of the Lowell family meant that he could not have any claim whatsoever.

"I wish you were here Zachary. You would know exactly what to say to the people of this town. And you'd be a right sight better than the faces I am going to have to see at the wedding." she muttered, closing her eyes and falling back on her bed.