Chatper 3

Jack managed to sneak around towards the deeper parts of the town but quickly ducked behind the statue of a man hammering a sword. He waited until they had passed, before tiptoeing out of his hiding place. Suddenly he saw a flurry of Norrington's men run by.

"Search upstairs. Look lively, men!" said one of them.

Jack looked around quickly before ducking into the blacksmith's shop. He closed the door quietly before looking around the room. He spotted a squat man, in an apron lying on a chair with his feet propped up, an empty bottle in hand. Jack poked him in the chest a few times to no avail. He turned away, and quickly looked back "WHAO!" The man didn't move in the slightest. Satisfied, Jack removed his hat and placed it on a little hook, before picking up a hammer. He banged away at the irons, but to no avail. He jangled them around slightly before noticing the large machinery on the side of the shop.

He picked up a poker and used the blazing hot end to spur the donkey. The machine began to run, and Jack hooked the chain of his cuffs around the spinning gears, causing the link to break. Just as he began to feel quite pleased with his brilliance, the door of the shop opened, and Jack quickly hid.

Will wandered into the shop and noticed the machine running instantly. He quickly calmed the donkey, before checking on Brown. "Right where I left you," he said, tossing his coat on the rack. He wandered over to where the hammer was lying, "not where I left you." He looked confused before spotting Jack's hat. As he reached to pick it up, a blade quickly landed atop his hand. Will, startled, looked up to see Jack pointing his sword at him. "You're the one they're hunting. The pirate."

Jack looked confused, "You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?"

Will shook his head, "I make a point of avoiding familiarity with pirates."

"Ah, well, then it would be a shame to put a black mark on your record. So, if you'll excuse me...." Jack quickly turned away and was about to leave.

Will, who quickly pulled out a sword and stood in front of the door. "Do you think this is wise, boy- crossing blades with a pirate?"

"You threatened Miss Swann," said Will, looking at Jack with pure dislike.

"I only threatened her a little," Jack replied, scraping his sword against Will. The pair parried for a few seconds, which allowed Jack to get a rough estimate on how well of a fighter Will was. "You know what you're doing. I'll give you that. Excellent form. But how's your footwork? If I step here." Jack moved to the left. "Very good. Now I step again." this time he went to the right completely. The pair ended up on opposite sides, with Jack by the door. "Ta." He sheathed his sword and quickly moved to the door. Just as he reached it, something went whizzing by his ear and hit the door, causing it to remain locked. Jack frowned before attempting to wrench the sword out of the door, but to no avail. He looked back and saw Will standing there smugly, his arm raised. "That is a wonderful trick, mate. Except, once again you are between my and my way out. And you, again, haven't a weapon."

Will turned around and pulled another sword out of the fire, it's blade glowing red. "Think again Pirate." He replied, parrying. Jack and Will continued to fight, moving around the blacksmiths. Will had lost yet another sword and quickly pulled another from the rotating beam near the pair of them. "Who makes all these?" Jack asked, looking around at the swords.

"I do! And I practice with them...three hours a day!" Will replied, getting somewhat annoyed by Jack.

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate," said Jack. He noticed a change in Will's behavior and began to taunt him further to distract him. "Or perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found a girl and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you?"