Chapter 5

In the Governor's house, Elizabeth had heard the loud noises, and run to the window of her room. Just that morning she had been rewarded with the view of a beautiful and clear blue sky, the calmness of the town, and peace. Now, she watched as the Fort was attacked, people screamed, and a stream of pirates ran up to the mansion, breaking down the gates.

She quickly ran out of her room and heard the knocking at the door. "No!" she screamed as she watched in horror. The butler opened the door, as she descended the stairs. Standing at the front of a group of the most rugged, filthy, and horrible looking men Elizabeth had ever seen was a squat bald man with a gun, pointed firmly at the butler's head. "Hello chum." and a shot rang out, killing the butler immediately.

She couldn't prevent herself from screaming, causing the squat man, and the thin one with the wooden eye to notice her quickly. "Up there!" he said, pointing to her.

"Girl!" said another.

Elizabeth quickly turned around and headed back up the stairs and into her room, where she ran into Estrella, who locked the chamber door and pulled her aside. "Miss Swann, they've come to kidnap you!"

"What?" said Elizabeth, completely confused and worried.

"You're the governor's daughter," said Estrella.

Elizabeth ignored this and spoke quickly, a plan forming in her head, "They haven't seen you. Hide, and the first chance you get, run to the fort." She quickly turned back to the door, which had just been broken open. She distracted the two pirates as the maid ran out. The squat one quickly followed her, and Elizabeth quickly grabbed a bed warmer, whacking him in the face with it, knocking him flat on his back.

His one-eyed friend followed quickly behind, and Elizabeth released the ashes from the coal onto his head. "It's hot! You burned me!"

She tossed the bed warmer aside and quickly ran out of her room, and back down the hall to the stairs. The squat one turned to his friend, "come on!"

Elizabeth ran down the stairs but found her path blocked by the one-eyed pirate, who'd jumped over the banner, and in front of her, his arms open wide. The three of them stopped and watched as another pirate came out of the room to the left, his arms full of jewels and silver cutlery. They watched as a cannon, launched from the ship, flew through the right window, and knocked him back into the room.

Elizabeth looked up and saw the chandelier in the foyer about to fall, and used the distraction to quickly run back to the room that the pirate had been blown into. The chandelier fell crashing as she ran, effectively delaying the other two pirates from chasing her.

She slammed the doors shut and locked them with candelabra. She ran to the mantle, above which hung two crossed swords. She pulled them both down and attempted to remove one of them, but to no avail. She watched as the two pirates attempted to break the door down, and quickly threw the swords aside, and ducked into one of the cabinets lining the right side of the room, which held the china.

She held her breath as the door was broken open, and the two pirates entered. "We know you're here, Poppet." said the plump pirate.

"Poppet." murmured the one-eyed pirate.

"Come out . . . and we promise we won't hurt you," said Pintel, who smiled at Ragetti's questioning look. "We will find you, Poppet. You've got something of ours, and it calls to us. The gold calls to us."

"Gold calls . . ." said Ragetti

Elizabeth pulled the medallion out of her corset and looked at it through the sliver of light between the cabinet's doors. Just then the sliver of light vanished, and Elizabeth looked up to see the eye of the fat pirate looking through the crack, and directly at her. "'Ello, Poppet."