New Facts

Your Pov:

Apollo and I sat in the lobby going over the case. There was no sign of Kristoph. Dahlia was next to us. I looked at her, "So you don't remember anything after you passed out?" She shook her head, "Not a thing. When I came to, I was still in the inner temple. Then, the police came." I sighed, "We need to find a weak point in the Prosecution's argument so that we can present the letter and get you declared innocent."

Apollo spoke up, "I think I've found the answer. There's no solid reason or motive for her to have committed the murder. There is no connection between them or anyone they know." I smiled, "You're a genius. But the only other lead we have a for another killer is the person in black Dahlia saw. The letter is our trump card."

He nodded, "Then why don't we make a new theory. The man in black was the victim's fiance. He found out she was leaving and followed her up to the mountains before killing her. He must've thought it was too desolate out there for anyone to find her body but was proven wrong by Dahlia and Iris in the inner temple. He must've known about Dahlia's reputation and chose to blame her instead of Iris."

I huffed, "Now all we have to do is apply the evidence to it. There were no fingerprints on the knife and the door to the inner temple had no unidentified ones either. The footprints on the right side of the lantern remain unidentified."

Apollo sighed, "I think the rest of our evidence outweighs all of that if we can poke a hole in the Prosecution's argument." We continued to review everything until it was practically engraved into our minds.

Then, a few minutes later, Kristoph finally showed up. He spoke, "I'm surprised you stayed afloat. I'm afraid your ship's been hit."

He continued, "The Prosecution is calling a special witness: the victim's fiancee. This witness is going to testify that he heard the murder over the phone when the victim called him."

I frowned, "How is that even legitimate testimony?! It's hearsay!" Apollo agreed, "What do we do now?" Kristoph sighed, "You have a trump card. Do with it what you will. But your other evidence will probably end up being your safety net if it fails. It's not forged so it stands a better chance at being recognized."

I put all the evidence back into my satchel, "Well, let's hope our trump card works. If it doesn't, this trial might just end on a very bad note. But it won't if I have anything to say about it. Everything hopefully will be fine."

We all convened one last time and made sure we had everything ready.

Then, we all gathered our bearings and prepared ourselves for a trial that would affect all of us if it ended with anything other than a not guilty verdict at the end of the day.