ten

Headline: Jeon Communications Charity Event a Success

I look through the headlines as a few more people stream in. Mira and I hang about the buffet table, chatting and snacking. The orchestra is playing a soothing melody which only adds more class to the event. I grin when I see the headline - Jungkook would be happy to know about it. I forward him the article.

"Why's he on your Frequently Contacted List?" Mira asks as she watches me text him.

"Because you ditched me for God knows what," I tease and she rolls her eyes.

"As long as he doesn't surpass me," she replies as carefreely as she can.

I don't have the time to respond to her sentence because in the next second, there is a series of popping noises resounding from the other side of the room. Shrieks are heard and glass shattering noises break the silence.

What's going on?

There is the smallest moment of silence before everyone goes wild. I'm hurriedly looking around, eyes darting, to find where the source of the gunshots are. Mira instantly grabs my hand and drags me down.

"Stay low!" she yells above the noise.

"What's happening?" I shout as I grip tightly on to her hand.

"We're going to be fine, don't panic," Mira shouts back, blood rapidly draining from her face.

I look around to see people ducking like us. My heart is running wild, the gears in my mind are working overtime but no solution is coming to mind. Mira's eyes are darting about, like a wild animal about to be slaughtered.

"We have to leave!" I instantly say. More gunshots cause me to jolt.

I'm scared.

"Someone call the police!" I hear someone shriek far away. And as if things couldn't get worse, a loud boom shakes the ground - and it's smoke everywhere. The glossy floors, glitter chandeliers - all of it disappears in the smoke.

"Mira!" I cry out, trembling.

"It's okay, Hana! It's going to be okay, it was just some smoke grenade," she tries to reassure me as she starts coughing.

She's asthmatic. Fuck.

The smoke is quickly filling every inch of this area and it's invading my lungs. I quickly grab the scarf that's holding my hair together and press it into Mira's hands.

"Cover your," I pause to cough, "nose and mouth!"

I'm scrambling to find the extra inhaler I carry around for her in my purse when another smoke grenade goes off - this time, it's much closer to us. Mira screams in shock as she huddles closer to me.

"Where are the police?" I shout, coughing violently, eyes tearing up.

"Hana!" I hear someone shout for me.

Jungkook.

"Here!" I try to shout back but my throat is getting scratchier by the minute. My arm is looped around Mira's shoulder, holding her tightly as some form of reassurance. The lack of air and the smoke entering my eyes weakens me and causes my head to ring. My eyes are shut because of how much it hurts to open them.

"Hana." This time, Jungkook's voice is right beside me, his warm hands hold onto my shoulder.

"Mira," I cough, "she's asthmatic." I can feel Jungkook stiffen beside me.

"Taehyung, get Mira out!" Jungkook's demand is sharp and I hear another set of coughing before Mira is scooped out of my arms. My head is hung and my mind is frazzled.