eighteen

Headline: Kartier Masquerade Doors Open

When I wake up, my head is throbbing and it swallowing my own saliva sends pain storming through my body. It feels hot and cold at the same time.

Crap, I think I have a fever.

My eyes are too heavy and opening them takes more effort than it normally does. I reach my hand over to the left side of the bed and Jungkook is much closer than I thought he'd be. I gently pat him a little until I feel him stir.

"What time is it?" I ask, my voice extremely scratchy and rasped. He seems to sense something is off too. I watch tiredly as his eyes shoot open.

"Are you sick?" he instantly asks, fumbling to sit upright. He quickly puts his glasses on and his palm touches my forehead. He seems so comfortably warm. I can only wince in pain. My head feels heavy and I would much rather go back to sleep. I hate getting sick.

"How did I not realise?" Jungkook silently scolds himself under his breath as he gets up to turn the AC off.

"You must've been freezing," he laments and I can only nod numbly. He towers over my right side and starts pulling blankets over for me.

"I'll get you your clothes and everything. Don't worry," he says as he fumbles to call Mira to let her know I'd be at home today. Mira gives a few strong words, telling me to better care for myself. It was nice but it didn't stop me from burning up.

"Okay, I'll run a warm bath and leave some clothes for you," he says, crouching beside me. I scrunch my face up in discomfort. He squeezes my hand.

"Hang in there."

***

The shower helps but my nose is stuffed and my throat is scratchy. I feel warmer than the water in the bath and I very nearly fall asleep in the tub. When I'm out, Jungkook already has some pills and drinks ready.

"Better?" he asks as he guides me to the table. His scent and mint toothpaste barely register in my brain. I nod tiredly, slumping against the table as he pulls a chair up next to me. I feel miserable.

He carefully gets a pill out and waddles over with a glass of water. I take it instantly, hoping to get some instant relief. Medicine doesn't work that way.

Jungkook knows me well enough to know to not rub it in my face. He knows if he brings up my working overtime I'd blow up.

***

The rest of the day is takeout porridge and fever dreams. And a determined Jungkook who wanted me well.

When Mira returns home, she takes over Jungkook's duty as he heads back to his house. By this time, I'm more awake, so I gossip with Mira about Taehyung and everything about her dating life.

***

My fever passes by quickly at the intensity Mira is watching me at and soon, it's Kartier's masquerade. Jungkook still texts me messages to drink water and hydrate and all that good stuff - so we're still thankfully in touch.

Mira and I quickly get into our gowns and take a few necessary pictures.

My dress is rather simple but I love it. It's red like spilt blood and I am embracing the ambience. Our limo comes to pick us up and very soon, we're on the red carpet. After some time with the paparazzi, we're ushered into the ballroom. It's grand and decked out in the finest Kartier jewels. Instinctively, I'm on the lookout for Jungkook.

"You look gorgeous," his voice materialises behind me. I'm smiling before I turn around.

"Don't you look dashing too," I smirk, feeling giddy with some emotion.