fifteen

Headline: Kartier Annual Masquerade Guest List Leaked: KLM, JC Amongst Big Companies Invited

I watch in suspicion as Mira leaves my office. She just waved me goodbye. The time reads 6:45pm and I feel iffy about everything. Meeting Jungkook again, Mira suddenly heading off, the masquerade-

Jeon Jungkook: [image]

I swipe into his chat and see a selfie of him in... our company's parking lot?

Jeon Jungkook: am i too early?

Me: nope not at all im coming down now!

I fumble around to keep my papers before walking out of my office. The whole trip down to the parking lot is exhausting. I can't listen to music (I mean, I could, but I'm too nervous) and I'm mildly irritated by how anxious I am. It's just Jungkook. Jesus.

"There you are," the voice is so familiar it yanks me back to June. It warms me from the inside out, almost making up for all the nights I spent alone since he was around. I turn around slowly (as if that'll make me less nervous), a smile slowly forming on my face already. He's grinning back at me with that same smile. His hair is...

"Red?" my smile drops into a gape. He walks towards me cockily, hands in the pockets of his sweats. It's a black ensemble, he looks like he could rob a bank if not for the violently red hair.

"You like?" he asks, his smile somehow getting bigger. I'm already reaching for his hair subconsciously. I tug on a lock of it. It's not a wig - I don't know why I thought it'd be a wig.

"When?" I blurt out, stunned.

"Right before I came to get you," he smiles proudly.

"Shit, it looks really good," I practically gush. He rolls his eyes though I swear I see some blush dust on his cheeks.

"For the masquerade," he explains.

"Whatever it is, just keep it for a while longer. I love it," I deadpan and he nods shyly. He starts walking towards his car and I cannot keep my eyes off his hair. It's the purest red and it stains every strand on his head.

"Japanese food?" he asks.

"Sure," I agree as he drives the car out of the parking lot. There's a sinking feeling when I realise that it's been 5 months since we've last spoken. How do I even start?

"It's been so long," I say and he nods enthusiastically.

"I'm sorry I haven't texted," I trail off. There's no reason. No excuse. I just hated small talk and there was nothing to talk to Jungkook about when we both went separate ways. That was a dumb excuse.

"Me too," he murmurs sincerely.

"We can't ever lose contact again," I say solemnly and my sentence seems to breathe life into the car. Jungkook visibly relaxes.

"Thank God you brought that up first. I didn't know how to tell you we should text more without coming off as creepy or pushy," he chuckles and I chortle too. I stick out my pinkie and he turns to me and wraps his around mine.

"Eyes on the road, Jeon," I roll my eyes and he cheekily grins back.

***

"Should we match?" Jungkook asks carelessly as we rifle through the dresses and suits in the boutique. I swivel instantly. He doesn't even bat an eye.

"Sure," it comes off like a challenge. He faces me with a thoughtful look as I scan the shop. My eyes land on the most gorgeous red gown. It's sleeveless and cascades outwards after the waistline. It's drenched in the same red Jungkook has on his hair, maybe darker.

"I like that," I say and Jungkook grins.

"I was just going to say that it looked good," he shakes his head lightly.

"I'll get a suit and some red bowtie," he says and I nod. I watch as he walks off and my phone rings.

It's Mira.

I pick up instantly.

"Hello," I answer cheerily.

"Hi, Hana. I just wanted to let you know that I'm not coming home tonight," she says calmly. My brows shoot up.

"Wait- what do you mea-"

"I actually went to pick something up and it's too far from home to drive back right now. It's raining so heavily," she explains. I'm in a mall so I don't really hear rain.

"Mira, I'm so sorry if Jungkook makes you feel left out-"

"Hana, really. He doesn't. I really had somewhere to go tonight," she assures me. She's not lying, that much I know.

"Will you ever tell me what you're doing?" I ask with a pout.

"Nope," I can hear her smiling.

"Okay then. I'll see you in the office tomorrow. I'll grab you breakfast," I say.

"I love you, Hana," she laughs a little.

"I love you too, bye!" I hang up as Jungkook walks towards me.

"I've paid for everything, they'll deliver it to your place by Friday," he says. I tilt my head as I try to phrase my next question.

"Do you want to sleep over at my place tonight?" I ask and his brows shoot up.

"Mira's gone for some reason," I try to justify myself but it's not working. He grins teasingly.

"I mean, I don't even have anything tomorrow, so I guess I could sleep over," he trails off as he watches my reaction. I think he expects me to hit his arm in response or something, but rather, I'm still wearing a genuinely hopeful expression.

"Okay then, let's have a sad adult sleepover," he beams and I smile in relief.

"They call it a one night stand," I wink jokingly as I walk off, laughing my head off. He takes a few seconds to snap out of it and catch up.

***

It's not even pouring when the car exits the mall. It looks like it's snowing with the amount of rain being dumped from the sky. The thunder and lightning jolts me every so often and Jungkook is more focused on the road than ever.

"I have some clothes of yours from the last time you stayed over," I say without thinking. He pauses for a moment.

"What?" he asks in disbelief. I realise what I've said and if not for the dark, Jungkook would see me light up as red as his hair.

"I mean, I just never got to returning them. But they're clean! I promise!" I say, not daring to look him in his eyes.

"Kim Hana," he teases like this is some scandal. I whack his arm hard enough that he won't send us careening off the road.

"Shut up," I groan.

***

"Home sweet home," he jokes as he steps foot in my house. I roll my eyes.

"Get showered and change, we can watch a movie," I say with a glint in my eyes.