twenty-four

Headline: Lee Passes Away at 92, Korea Mourns for Loved Actor

"What?" he asks dumbfoundedly.

"I thought I trusted you too," I hum.

"So what happened?" he asks.

"Whatever we had in June, those were good times. But they only lasted so long. They mean nothing to me," I conclude. My sentences are all over the place.

"What?" he's as confused as I am.

"I don't know," I mutter bitterly.

"Well how about I make it clear on my side. Whatever friendship we had meant something to me and I'm trying to understand why a close friend of mine is suddenly closing me off," he says coldly.

"We're not friends anymore," I mumble. It's not a lie. He can never be my friend again. I sound like some melodramatic ten-year-old.

"I will be your friend but you will not be mine. You can never be mine again," I say. I want to throw myself out the window. I just laid it all there in front of him. The detailed blueprint of how I fell into the territory of falling in love with my best friend. Second best friend. Do terms even matter at this point?

Jungkook remains silent.

God, is he this daft?

"I like you, Jungkook. And I shouldn't. I don't deserve to and you like Ara. I can't be around you anymore and you're not making this any easier. Does that clear things up?" For the first time in this conversation, I look him in his eyes. I can feel myself tearing up. I hope he can't tell. His tense look loosens.

"Hana-"

The door beeps as a card is tapped against it. Mira walks in.

"Oh, Jungkook you're still here," she says, a little confused.

"You should go back," I mumble, practically forcing the box into his hands. He leaves without another word.

***

"How was dinner?" I ask Mira as we both face the ceiling, face masks on.

"I should be asking you the same thing. Jungkook looked like you just told him you were a double agent," she wants to laugh but the mask stops her from doing so.

"You go first," I nudge her slightly. For a good half hour, we try not to laugh over her date's details and I can hear the love melting her. I've never met anyone more deserving of love than Mira.

"I'm so happy for you," I say with a genuine smile. I turn slightly and see her grinning back.

"What about you? Which agency are you really working for?" she jokes. I chuckle a little before I sigh.

"I told him I liked him," I say it like it is.

"So that's why," she hums thoughtfully.

"That's why what?"

"I felt like I interrupted a really big moment."

"No, I'm glad you came. I'd rather not get rejected in Paris," I wave my hand in the air. She stays quiet and I can hear her gears rolling about viciously in her head.

"I'm not upset about anything. At least he knows now," I say.

"I hope you give him a chance to tell you his side of things," she says.

"What's on his side? He likes Ara," I shrug, feeling a little too numb.

Mira doesn't shift and for a second, I think she's fallen asleep.