Chapter 2-The Shepherd

When I reached the stables, nobody was awake anymore except for Tom, who was guarding the farm that night, but I couldn't see him then. I laid the girl on the straws that I would normally sleep on.  My arms were relieved now, as I was in pain for carrying her too much. I cannot see my strenght stat but I sure do hope it somehow increased because of this. Carrying a girl so much was hard work, even if she was somewhat light.

I got out of the stable and I walked towards the sheep's pen. Tom was sitting on the fence there. He most likely didn't see me carrying the girl, as he was daydreaming a lot.

"Hey Y/n, why aren't you sleeping at this hour?" Tom asked me.

"I found a girl sleeping in the forest. I thought it would be bad to leave her there so I took her to the stables."

I entered the stables with Tom and showed him the girl. He looked intently at her for a minute and then he took me by the arm and left the stables.

"That is an arch-mage, Y/n, and an adventurer at that." Tom said to me.

"Can I let her stay on the farm for a while? She looks like she hadn't eaten much."

"Adventurers can mean trouble sometimes, but I will certainly be able to convince my father to let her stay." Tom said.

After this brief discussion, I entered the stables again and put myself to sleep on a pile of straw across from the one the girl was sleeping on. I quickly fell asleep and I could finally rest. After some time I felt something moving me. 

"Wake up, wake up!" a girl's voice woke me.

"What is it?" I asked, opening my eyes.

In front of me was the arch-mage girl I took from the forest. She was sitting on her knees besides me. I got up on my legs and so did she.

"Where am I? What happened? Who are you?" the arch-mage asked me. Her red eyes looked at me, making me uneasy. She was really cute.

"I am Y/n. I saw you in the forest last night. I saw how you fell and I thought it would be safer to bring you here at the farm. Who are you anyway?"

The arch-mage started doing weird poses, covering her face with one of her hands wide apart, and then moving the hand while answering my question:

"My name is Megumin. I am an arch-mage who wields Explosion, the most powerful, most feared and most deadly spell in all the land! That is the finest magic of the Crimson Demons, and the only spell that matters."

I stood in awe at this weird introduction, and if I didn't see the explosion she made yesterday, I wouldn't have believed her. Then her belly made a sound. Megumin blushed.

"Do you have something to eat? I'm very hungry" she said.

"Y-yes. We farmers are soon to have our breakfast. You can join in, of course. But first, let us go outside."