Chapter 4-Tricks in the forest

We kept walking and the road took us through a giant forest. Snow-covered mountains could be seen in the distance, far ahead of us. Who knows how far away Axel is?

"Y/n" said Megumin.

"Yes?"

"For how long have you been working for Onar the farmer?"

"Eight days before you showed up" I answered. "Why?"

"What did you do before that?"

Crap. I do not want to tell her about that. But there is no point in lying, I'm not good at it anyway.

"I was transferred here from another world after I died there." I said that as I was looking forward.

"Turn your head, look me in the eyes" said Megumin. "Sounds crazy, but your eyes don't seem to be deceiving. That would explain why you know so little about this world."

She actually knows it when someone is lying? Or does she do that to seem more wise?

"I turned 17 two weeks ago. I wanted to get involved into a bandit gang but I had to kill some other recruit in a duel with machetes. It was I who was killed instead. Because I died young, the goddess Aqua let me choose between hell and entering this world."

"But other people who claim to be from another world usually have some powerful weapon or armor or spell on them, how come you don't have one of those?" asked Megumin.

"Aren't you rather more worried about the fact you are walking alone in a forest together with a cutthroat? How come you are both an arch-wizard and you can also cast explosion magic when you are so young?"

"What? Are you implying I am a loli?!"

HA! I successfully changed the subject!

"Yes" I answered.

"I WILL MAKE YOU PAY FOR THAT, Y/N!" she yelled as she quickly put her foot in front of my legs and pushed me. I fell and the sling bag I had on my shoulder slid on the ground besides me. Before I could get up she came right down on me holding my shoulders with her hands. Megumin was on top of me. Her face was dangerously close. But she fell into my trap. I moved my head a little forward and kissed her on the nose. She quickly backed off moving her legs, dragging her ass on the grass and leaves with terror visible in her widened, red, glowing eyes. I laughed really hard and smugly.

"Damn it!" she said, blushing. Megumin's hat fell off her head as she backed off.

"You didn't expect that did you?" I stood up, took her hat and put it on her head. "My legs are exhausted, I bet yours are too. The sun is about to start setting, why don't we sleep here for the night?"

Megumin started shaking.

"What is it? Why are you shaking?" I asked her.

"I-I didn't cast Explosion today and the sun is about to set."

"Oh. Is that a problem?" I asked.

"Yes! Without casting explosion once a day I will die!"

She must be exaggerating here.

"But your huge explosion might cause AN AVALANCHE! Look at the amount of snow on these mountains!"

"I can fire an explosion somewhere on the fields. But those are too far away already" said Megumin. 

"What if you climb on a taller tree and target the fields from there? I will gather a lot of leaves around the tree so that when you will fall, you won't break your neck or something."

Megumin agreed with my plan and we both gathered a lot of leaves around the tree. It was a pine tree. We stopped gathering when there was a vague circle of leaves at the base of the tree with a three meter radius. The top of this leaf-bed reached my thighs. Megumin took of her cape and started climbing on the tree with my help. After that I just saw her climbing on branches as if she were climbing on a ladder. I took a quick glance up her skirt and found out she was wearing black panties.

When she reached the top of the tree, the sun was away and it was dark. Megumin started chanting her spell. Her voice echoed strongly in the forest. Magical energy was channeling all around Megumin and bright diverse colors appeared around her.

"Darkness blacker than black and darker than dark, 

 I beseech thee, combine with my deep crimson. 

 The time of awakening cometh. 

 Justice, fallen upon the infallible boundary, 

 appear now as an intangible distortions! 

 I desire for my torrent of power a destructive force: 

 a destructive force without equal! 

 Return all creation to cinders, 

 and come frome the abyss!

EXPLOSION!"

And then I heard a large, loud explosion in the distance. A sudden flash of light tore trough the darkness and briefly brought the color back on to the mountains. Megumin sat on the top of the tree for three seconds and she fell off it suddenly. I was about to get worried until I saw the branches made her fall a little slower. In the end she finally fell on the leaf bed with her staff besides her.

"What do you say about that, Y/n? Isn't Explosion magic the only thing worth spending your skill points on? Am I not the greatest arch-wizard of the Crimson Demons?"

Megumin was happy and her voice was full of excitement. I started a campfire for warmth's sake and I put the two blankets Balthasar gave us on the leaf bed. I moved Megumin on one of the blankets and opened the bag and started cutting at the bacon with a knife while sitting beside her. I cut the first piece of bacon and stuck it into the knifepoint and Megumin took it off and ate it. As I repeated the process with multiple pieces of bacon, she regained her energy faster than usual and could eat on her own.

"Earlier, during the morning, you talked about a certain kind of vow that could only be kept between men. What is it about?" Megumin asked me.

"Well, in the previous world I lived in a country with many almost-forgotten traditions from the distant past. One of those was the vow of the cross brothers. When two friends trusted each other a lot but they weren't related, they made the vow and became cross brothers. They would hold no secrets from each other and they helped each other every time it was necessary. When the vow was taken, they would make a cut on each other's hand and then suck each other's blood out of the wound. And from then on, they would be cross brothers with God as their witness."

"If only my former companions were at least a little like that" said Megumin.

"Why?" I asked.

"Every time they saw that I was falling after each Explosion spell I cast, they would abandon me. Three parties abandoned me so far. The first had the decency to take me back to Axel before abandoning me. The second party left me in the field and abandoned me. The last party stole all the Eris I had while I was laying down and couldn't move."

Megumin was sad and her eyes were starting to get teary.

"I will never abandon you, don't worry" I said that almost unconsciously.

"You also said earlier that my explosions are huge. Did you really mean that?"

She looked at me imploringly and her eyes glowed harder than before. This is one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

"Of course I did. Your explosions are the best."

Megumin hugged me and I hugged her back.