Chapter 3-Out of the farm

When we reached the farm, Balthasar took care of the sheep while I found a bench to put Megumin on. I arranged Megumin to sit on it.

"I will speak to Onar now, I want for us to sleep here for tonight and then we will start our travels tomorrow."

"Sounds good" responded Megumin, still tired.

I made my way to Onar's house and talked to him about my wish to go away and travel with Megumin tomorrow. He was understanding enough and let me keep the farmer work clothes and allowed us to sleep in the stables for that night. After finishing my discussion with him it was already evening, Megumin was walking around the farm courtyard and the time for the last dinner of the day was upon us.

Megumin and I sat near each other at a table in the courtyard and Balthasar sat facing us. Megumin didn't talk too much and was yawning from time to time and her eyes were half-closed all the time. It was with Balthasar that I had talked to a lot more.

"Megumin here told me you two are going to travel to Axel. You do know it is far away, right?" the old man asked me.

"I know, but she certainly knows the way to it, isn't that so, Megumin?"

Sleepy Megumin only responded with a nod. Balthasar continued talking.

"Look, I will help you a little. I will give you a sling bag with some food in it. Also, I can tell you which roads to take in order to reach Jens the hunter. He is an old friend of mine and if you tell them that you are my friends, he will let you sleep in his cabin."

And then Balthasar started instructing us on which roads to take in order to reach Jens. Behind I saw Tom on a horse, probably coming from the village. He dismounted, tied the horse to a post and moved towards our table.

"So, you two are about to go travelling?" Tom asked while taking his seat by Balthasar. He must have overheard a little of our conversation with Balthasar.

"Yes" I answered.

"I think I can help you a little with that. I know you have no weapon on you and travelling without one is foolish. So take this hatchet and keep it, I already have another one in my room." And as he said that, he took the hatchet from his belt and handed it over to me and I attached it to my belt.

I thanked him and since we were just finishing our meal, we went to sleep back in the stables. Megumin threw herself on the pile of straw.

"Good night!" she said.

"Good night!" I responded, laying myself on the pile next to her.

By the pattern of her breathing I could quickly guess that Megumin fell asleep fast. But I had trouble sleeping since I slept earlier on the hill. I tossed and turned to face her. One meter was separating us and indeed, her eyes were closed. 

(please ignore that she's not sleeping on a pile of straw in the image)

It was all a weird experience. I only knew her for a day at most and I will already start travelling with her with almost no money in my pockets. Something bad might happen to me here. But if I weren't to do this good deed, I could end up worse in the afterlife. My experience with Aqua really did get to me deeply in some ways. On the other hand, this girl is worth protecting.

I fell asleep after some time and strangely enough, I woke up earlier in the morning than I thought. I stood up and left the stables and I saw that it was sunrise. Megumin was still asleep in the stables and I sat down at a table, thinking. I do not feel dizzy at all now, and I woke up on my own? Is this because of the anticipation? Balthasar appeared in the courtyard soon with a peasant's sling bag in his hand. He saw me and came to me.

"I see you have gotten up early" Balthasar said, quietly. "I will go get some food from the kitchen and give it to you".

I nodded and he went into the kitchen for a few minutes and brought me the bag with the food inside of it. He also gave me two blankets for us to not be cold during the nights. I stood up and hugged him a goodbye.

"Thank you very much" I said while taking the bag. "Farewell, friend."

"Farewell" Balthasar said, heading back into his hut.

I put the bag on my shoulder and entered the stables. Megumin was still asleep. I had to wake her so I started tickling her a little around the sides and neck. She woke up in a few seconds, laughing.

"Stop it! Stop it right now!" she said on a slightly loud tone.

I ignored that and kept tickling. She was slapping at my hands and she quickly got herself off the straw and was standing. I kept torturing her so she held me by my wrists and I pushed her against the stable's wooden plank wall. Her red shiny eyes widened.

"We must get moving" I said, letting her go. "I'll wait for you outside of the stable."

Megumin smiled.

"How would I know you won't spy on me as I change clothes, you pervert?"

"I won't. I could swear on it in a special way, but you're not a man." I answered jokingly.

"What does this even mean?" she asked me.

"I will elaborate on this later."

I left the stables. I waited for Megumin to change with my back at the stables. Who knows if she is looking through the planks right now too see if I keep my promise. But Megumin soon made her way out of the stable, dressed as normal. Thus we departed from the farm and made our way towards Axel and Jens the hunter. At some point, the farm was far away behind us.

"I did not ever ask you what your level is." Megumin said.

"I don't know."

"You don't have an adventurer's card?" she asked me.

"I don't."

"Then we must go to the nearby town, they always have adventurer's guilds and you can get your card. Otherwise, you won't be able to advance. And maybe..." Megumin did not finish that sentence.

"Maybe what?" we both stopped walking in that moment.

"Maybe you will learn the only thing that is worth learning. Explosion magic. Join me on this path and I swear you won't regret it."

"I don't know, I'm not really the kind for wizardry... But I will try to get into explosion magic too, why not?"

She blushed, smiled and hugged me suddenly. If only she knew I said that only to appease her a little.

"You will try it a bit, and after that, you will not wish to spend skill points on anything else, you will see that" Megumin said.

She let me go and we kept walking. The journey ahead of us was going to be long.