Chapter 16-Kazuma

The next day Megumin, I and Chomusuke continued to descend the mountain on the opposite side of Manatitown, trying to reach the road to Axel. My legs were exhausted but I continued to march. The inside of my neck hurt, I was coughing from time to time and I could barely make myself heard when I spoke.

I must be sick.

When we left the snowy area, it started to become too warm for me to wear my woolen cloak anymore, so I put it into the bag. Megumin was also starting to warm up.

"Y/n, can we stop a little for me to change clothes?" Megumin asked. "This place is warmer than the top of the mountain."

"Do you really need to? Fine then, we'll stop" I said in a barely comprehensible voice. Every time I spoke, it hurt me.

I sat on a tree stump and rested my head on my palms, looking down on the ground. My head hurt a lot.

Megumin changed clothes and I didn't take a single glance at her. Now was not the time for playing games. We only had enough food for this day.

"Let's eat the food now, I am getting too hungry" Megumin said after she changed.

I looked up at her and was about to refuse her, to tell her that we should save the food for later. But then my stomach grumbled.

Seems like I was hungry without noticing it.

We ate all of our remaining food right then and there. I left most of it to Megumin, since I did not feel the hunger beyond the occasional sounds the stomach made.

After that we continued our journey and found the road towards Axel. It was nighttime when we reached it. We decided to sleep by the road and made a campfire there.

"You are sick, Y/n" Megumin told me. "Don't you want me to prepare some medicine for you? I was taught to brew potions that cure sickness."

"I don't know if you will find the right plants during the night" I said.

"But there is no need for plants. All that is needed is a Fire Drake's powdered liver, some cut mandrake roots, the onions of an Onion Duck..."

This bloody world...

I started to laugh but I immediately chocked and started coughing. I could barely breathe thanks to my runny nose.

"Slim chances, slim chances... We're better off to continue on tomorrow." I whispered, seating myself on the blanket that was by the fire.

Megumin came forward and touched my forehead.

"You have got a temperature to match" she said while starting to pat me on the head.

"I will be fine. If you don't want to catch my sickness, take my cloak out of the bag and sleep in it."

I laid myself on the blanket and covered myself with it. Megumin did the same, but she used my cloak and slept at a distance from me this time.

When I woke up in the morning of the next day, I felt better. But I was beginning to get hungry. We continued to make our tiring, hungry march to Axel for four more days. During this time, we ate almost nothing and I felt like I was getting close to starvation. My physique got weakened.

When we reached Axel on the morning of the fourth day, me and Megumin went to a charity that gave free food to the poor organized by the Eris church. I ate without a thought, not paying mind to anything else. When we finished our ration, a lady dressed in black approached us. She was wearing a hood.

"Are you Y/n? The one that drinks from a silver skull?" the lady asked me.

"Yes. That is me" I said, taking the skull out of my bag and showing it to the lady as proof. "Who are you? What do you want from us?"