Chapter 23

"Cortez." I hold out his leash for him and he comes over and lets me clip it to his collar, then harness him. He stands patiently and then we head outside where Jack's waiting in the car.

I'm going to visit my mom. She asked if we could go out for dinner and Jack offered to drive me there as I was going to get an uber.

He reaches for my hand as he drives and squeezes it lightly.

"My god, I fucking love you." He mumbles, making me giggle.

He says that at the most random of times. I love it when he does. It makes me so happy inside and I can't help but beam. It makes my chest feel all warm and fuzzy inside that I could just melt.

"I love you too, Jack." I reply, pulling his hand up and hugging it to my chest. "You're an amazing person."

"So are you, baby girl." He grins. "You gonna need a drive home later?"

I shrug. "I donno. My mum might be able to drive me."

"Well if not, give me a call okay?"

"Okay."

My mum and I go to a nice restaurant and then back to her apartment. We catch up and she asks about Lavender. How she's doing and if I have any pictures of her.

I tell her the truth. How neither Jack nor I have seen Lavender in at least a month and a half. How right now Gabby's processing everything and Jack's supposed to be going to see Lavy tomorrow.

My mom has no idea about the child I carried. My mum has no idea about a lot of things that happened. I know if I told her, she'd probably pity me even more.

As I Ieave, I run into Jen by accident as she swings open the door. She pushes me back rather hard and I trip back over my own feet.

"Fucking bitch. I didn't push you that hard, now, get up. You're such a drama queen."

"Jennifer!" My mother scolds as I get to my feet and brush past the nasty witch without a word.

Cortez bristels his fur up as he walks past her too and we head down to the street.

I walk for a while, then call Jack. He's at his friend's right now so it'll take a little longer, which is fine by me. I take Cortez to the pet supply store and pick him up his food and a chew-bone this time.

Jack pulls up, finding Cortez and I sitting on a bench on the sidewalk. I told him which street we'd be on. I grab my bag, but look up curiously when I hear his car door shut.

He comes and joins me on the bench, pulling me into his side. "Hey there, gorgeous. What's a lovely girl like you doing sitting on a bench alone?"

"Oh, you clown." I put my hand on his thigh and squeeze. "I'm not alone. I have my big bad guard dog."

"Oh, yes! The big scary Cortez." He reaches down and pats the dog on the head as he chews his bone contently. "So how did it go with your mom?"

"Good." I smile. "We had a lot to catch up on. She said she got a promotion."

"Wow! Good for her!" He kisses my forehead. "I'm happy you're happy, Addy."

"I'm happy you're happy that I'm happy." I giggle back, looking into his beautiful brown eyes. "You make me happy, Jack."

His lips crash into mine and I sigh into him, pulling him in closer.

We don't kiss for long, but when we get home we get in the pool and chill together for a while.