Arc 9 - Chapter 1 (855 Words)

Chapter 1 - I'm Here

'I can see you.'

My eyes shot open, and almost immediately I began quaking in fear.

'I'm here.'

I gulped, sweat starting to bead my forehead. Oh god. No. Please, no.

'Turn around! I'm right behind you...'

I - I was scared. I didn't want to turn around. I didn't want to even look up. I buried my face into my pillow, a failing attempt to ignore the voice whispering in my ear.

'I'm right here, even if you don't turn around, so...'

I bit my lips, trying to contain a scream.

It was just a voice. There wasn't anyone there.

It was just a hallucination. Nothing was there.

'Turn around...!' I could feel a presence behind me. It sent a dozen shivers up my spine at once. My leg twitched - and it felt as if someone, or something, had just touched it.

I should never have. Every muscle, every fiber in my body begged me not to.

I just tilted my head, very slightly.

I caught a glimpse of a shadow looming at my bedside.

I inhaled sharply -

--

"Aaaaaah!"

I woke up with a jolt and immediately sprang up from my bed, flipping the light on as fast as I could possibly.

"Kaito! Kaito, what's wrong? What happened?"

He was quaking, his face wet with both sweat and fearful tears. His body was drenched to the bone and it looked as if he had just been back from a run. His eyes were wide in extreme fright.

"M-Miku, I... I...!" He began sobbing in fear. "They... they were there...! They were going to... going to kill m-me..."

I looked into his watery ocean eyes and immediately, a strong sense of pity washed into me. This boy... Kaito. He didn't deserve this. No one deserved to suffer like this.

Reaching out and pulling him into a tight hug, I whispered to him. "Kaito, it's okay. I'm here. You don't have to be scared. They... Whoever 'they' are, they're gone. There's no one there, okay?"

I could feel him shaking as I held him. I could tell how scared he was.

"Miku... What if they... what if they kill me? Or... Even worse..." The panic in his eyes grow. "W-what if they kill you? I can't - I won't be able to - I... I..." Before he could have another panic attack, I shushed him.

"Nothing's going to happen. They're hallucinations. They're not real, okay? You're safe here with me. I won't let them hurt you."

His heart was pounding. I could feel it, as if it was trying to break out of his ribcage. His breaths were irregular still, and he was gritting his teeth.

"Kaito." I looked him in the eye.

He looked back at me, still shivering.

"Kaito, you trust me, right?"

He nodded vigorously.

"Then do you trust me when I say I'll keep you safe? That I won't let you die?"

He hesitated for a slight second. "Kaito," I repeated his name exasperatedly, even though I didn't actually feel exasperated at all.

"O-okay..." He mumbled, his heartbeat starting to slow.

I smiled. "Go back to sleep."

He stared at me again, unsurely, before nodding slowly and lying back down. I didn't go back to my sleeping position. Instead, I sat beside him and waited for him to finally fall asleep.

When I could finally be sure that he was asleep, I reached into the drawer and pulled out a diary - a diary I kept on his hallucinations.

I began writing down what had happened - the light was off so as to not disturb Kaito, but the moonlight from out the window was enough for me. A cold wind blew, causing me to shudder a little. I felt cold, but nevertheless, I did not put down the diary.

"Dear Diary,

Today he kept insisting that "they" were going to kill him. He insisted he heard and saw "them". He was scared "they" were going to kill either him or me.

Who are "they" and why does Kaito hallucinate about them?

I want him to overcome this as soon as possible."

I flipped the diary pages. There were a good amount of pages already filled up with odd experiences - and it definitely wasn't the first diary.

In the past, Kaito used to be a typical boy - playful, but he would study hard when he needed to.

It was until that day... that day his mother and sister were killed in a car accident.

He'd witnessed it in front of his eyes.

He'd never been the same ever since.

And I could never blame him but... I wished he hadn't seen it.

I wished he hadn't seen the broken, bleeding bodies of his beloved family members, lying on the rough road. His only family members left.

He was alone.

He had nobody with him.

And that was when he started hearing voices.

That was when he starting seeing things.

I didn't want him to have to suffer like this.

I wanted to put an end to this.

I wanted to stop this.