Arc 16 - Doki Doki Vocaloid Club (unfinished)

Doki Doki Literature Club x Vocaloid

~~

Player: Kaito

Sayori: Meiko (childhood friend)
Bubbly, outgoing
Secretly depressed, wants things back the way they were last time with the player

Natsuki: Rin (abused friend)
Tsundere, feisty
Abused by father, seeks comfort in the club where everything is quiet and peaceful

Yuri: Luka (shy friend)
Introverted, constantly apologises, avid reader
When she gets excited, she cuts herself with a pocket knife

Monika: Miku (ayyyeee antagonist)
Self-aware character
Starts off as a caring leader, but is secretly jealous that all the other characters have routes but her
Just wants your love :'(

Plot: a new VR game called "Doki Doki Vocaloid Club" is released, and Kaito plays it, under the misperception (courtesy of his friend Len) that it's a dating simulator. Things go very wrong - especially when, even after the game's completion, he starts to see the in-game characters appearing in his reality.

Third-person

~~

He puts on the headset, which gently rests on his head full of spiky blue hair.

Just like that, he's in another world.

~~

A brunette runs towards him, waving her hand vigorously as if it weren't going to attract the attention of everyone around them. "Kaito!" The girl yells the name he'd inputted into the system.

That girl, in this game, is his neighbour and childhood best friend, Meiko.

He hears a male voice - supposedly his voice in the game - it's the "player", filling him with the details of this character.

"That girl is Meiko, my neighbour and good friend since we were children. You know, the kind of friend you don't see yourself making today, but it just kind of works out because you've known each other so long?"

Kaito definitely relates to that in real life. He chuckles. The player proceeds to talk about how they'd always walk to school together when they were younger, but starting highschool Meiko began oversleeping more and more often.

Meiko runs forward and stands in front of Kaito, a lopsided, somewhat sheepish grin on her face. "Haah..." She catches her breath, then laughs, an embarrassed blush spreading across her face and tinting her cheeks. "I overslept again... Hey, but at least I caught up with you, this time!"

"That's because I waited for you."

"Huh?" She pouts. "You say that like you were thinking of ignoring me! That's mean."

"If people stare at you for being weird in public, I don't want them to think we're a couple or anything."

Meiko sighs. "Fine, fine... I guess. But you still waited for me, so I guess you really don't have it in you to be mean, huh!"

She smiles again, and Kaito can't help but feel warm on the inside, even if she's just an artificial character in a romance game.

"Whatever you say, Meiko..."

Meiko then begins walking forward and, using the buttons on his controller, Kaito follows suit. It takes him a short while to get the hang of it, but after that it's relatively easy. It isn't long before they can see the huge school building, and the students making their way into it.

"So, what club are you going to join?"

Two options appear on Kaito's screen - "A club? I'm not interested in clubs, and I told you already" and "It's a surprise... I don't want to tell you just yet."

He selects the former.

"Eh?" Meiko's eyes widened. "That's not true. You told me you'd join a club this year."

"Did I?" Once again, the player's voice resounds in the headset. "I guess I could have, in one of those conversations where I just dismissively went on with whatever she was saying. Meiko really worries too much about me, but I'm perfectly fine with my games and anime beside me."

The game goes on, with Meiko insisting until Kaito finally selects the option to agree to join a club.

unfinished