Arc 9 - Chapter 3 (unfinished)

Chapter 3 - And So, I Walk

I was furiously scribbling in the diary. Kaito was asleep, but I knew that I had to record this particular incident down.

Suicide. He'd tried to commit suicide.

It had had to be the voices. It had had to be his hallucinations, whispering to him to commit suicide.

But why? Was it for his good or mine?

"Dear Diary,

Tonight Kaito attempted suicide. I still don't understand what his intention was, but it had to be because of his hallucinations.

God, if you exist, please help me out. I don't want him to have to suffer like this.

I want the old Kaito back."

I slid the pen back into its compartment and was about to put the diary back, when I felt something tugging on my shirt.

I looked down, surprised. Kaito was still fast asleep, but it seemed he was having a nightmare.

"No... Miku..." He mumbled, his face creasing in worry. "Don't... Please don't!" His eyes were squeezed shut, and sweat rolled down his forehead onto the pillow. His breathing was becoming heavier and heavier by the second.

I analysed his face, hoping to get a clue of what he meant. Please don't... what?

"Don't care... about... me..." He continued uttering noncommittally, totally unconscious and unaware of his sleeptalk. "I'm useless..."

My eyes widened. Did I hear that right... did he just call himself useless?

"Kaito..." I softened. He was the one going through this and yet... calling himself useless...

Maybe I said it too loud, because his eyes opened a little. He stared up at me, confused for a good few seconds.

"Miku?" When he finally opened his mouth, his voice was soft and weak. "What time is it?"

"It's 3.06 am," I replied, checking the bedside clock.

"Why are you still awake..." He muttered, before spying the diary in my hands and taking it. He flipped through the pages, scanning them. "Ah... So you've been keeping a diary on all the incidents that happen at night..."

I nodded. "But that's my business, though. Go to sleep. You need rest."

"Stop caring about me so much. You need to sleep too..."

His tone seemed caring and loving, like he really wanted me to have a good night's rest. But after the suicide attempt and his unconscious sleep talk, I didn't trust this anymore. Maybe he was trying to get me to sleep... so he could try jumping again...

"Fine," I said, annoyed, and grabbed the diary, keeping it in the drawer.  "Just go to sleep yourself too."

We stared at each other for a while. He visibly flinched a few times - a clear sign that he was, yet again, hallucinating something. I reached out to place a hand on his shoulder, hopefully to wake him up from whatever he was experiencing, when suddenly his eyes widened.

"Miku, get down!"

He immediately ducked down and curled on the bed, dragging me with him.