Chapter 48: Nozomu

Under the blooming cherry blossom trees, along the canal of the Philosopher's Path he knew so well, he found himself waiting for her

Under the blooming cherry blossom trees, along the canal of the Philosopher's Path he knew so well, he found himself waiting for her. It was his daily routine.

He breathed in the clear air, a sign of spring coming. How long had he been waiting here for her?

He gazed across the canal, oddly surprised for not seeing anyone. The streets were empty.

He started walking, towards their favourite ice-cream stall. The signboard was up but the ice-cream seller was nowhere to be seen. He helped himself, making a mental note to return and pay for the treat.

He frowned as he smacked his lips together. Did he lose his taste bud after his surgery? The ice-cream was cold, and nothing else. Not wanting to waste, he proceeded to finish it. Yue must be waiting for him by now.

Still no one. He checked his watch. Did they promise to wait at another location? He specifically remembered telling her this was their spot. Had she forgotten about him?

No, not Yue.

A gentle breeze rustled the leaves and he heard his name, passing, in the wind. It was soft, like a whisper.

Please wake up, Didi.

"Yue! Where are you?" His voice came back to him, sounded strange. It was dry and hoarse.

Didi. I miss you. So much.

"Yue! I'm here. Can you see me?" He turned around and yet see no one. Then he narrowed his eyes and squinted, as the sunlight hit his face. Someone seemed to be walking towards him. Could it be—-?

"Shen Yue!" he cried.

As the figure approached him, he knew with certainty that he was in a world he never imagined he would be. Is he dead?

"Hello, Wang He Di," the tall, slim, good-looking stranger greeted him. Well, he was not really a stranger. He knew him. But this was their first meeting.

"Jackson Wang Jia Er."

He felt a cold shiver ran down his spine. The surgery must have failed.

"You don't seem surprised to see me." Jackson smiled. "It's beautiful here, isn't it?"

"But it's not real. Am I dead, Jackson? How else would I meet you?"

"This is my last mission. We are in the middle world. The place between the living and the dead."

"AM I DEAD, JACKSON?!!" Didi suddenly raised his voice. "Because if I am, then Yue—-" he started sobbing, as his chest rocked. "I failed her. I promised her I would be back."

"Do you want the good news or the bad news?" Jackson asked, after Didi had calmed down.

"Are you always a teaser?" He sniffed, wiping his tears with his sleeves.