Chapter 5: Late Night Assignments

You blinked a few times before processing what just happened. Makoto and Seiya seemed just as surprised as you, if not more so. "Oh, um, it was the Bach cello suite number 2 in D minor, the prelude," you tilted your head upwards to make eye contact with Ushijima, "I can play it on my viola because it has the same strings as the cello."

This answer seemed to please him and he said a quiet thank you before leaving you with your friends. Seiya was still in shock after seeing Ushijima and Makoto just seemed dumbstruck. "He heard you play?? How? I thought you never leave the practice rooms."

It was true that once you started your practice session you didn't leave until you were done for the day. However, losing track of time ended up changing your plans, "I got kicked out because they closed so I practiced by the dorms for a while." Thankfully, his reaction was no where similar to Ushijima's when you told him this. "Oh, I see. Well, that was a bit strange Ushijima-san asked what piece you were playing."

You agreed with Makoto on that. Part of you didn't care what Ushijima thought because you played it with everything you had. If he still disliked it after that, then so be it. The other side of you was self-conscious because he showed no sign as to what he was going to do with the information you had just given him, not that it mattered.

Luckily, Seiya's question about your joint practice session tomorrow took your mind away from Ushijima. "I have a few things that I would like to work on with you, Seiya-san. Feel free to bring any solo pieces that you have started. I can help you with those as well." She beamed at you and offered another slight bow, "T-thank you (L/N) Senpai! I'll do just that!"

The rest of dinner was quiet as the three of you munched on your food. Makoto as usual seemed keen on going back for seconds. After he left to refill his tray, you thought it would be a good time to retire to the dorms. Seiya said she was going to meet up with a few other first years before heading back, so you said goodnight and left by yourself.

What a day.

Plopping down on your bed was the first thing you did after making it back to your room. Now would be as good a time as ever to text your parents so you didn't forget. Pulling out your phone from your pocket you started a new message.

"Hi Tou-san, Kaa-san, today went okay. I made new friends and I am starting to teach one of the first years more about viola. I have a lot of work to finish so I'll call another day. Love you <3"

You checked the rest of your notifications and saw a message from an unknown number. 

"Hey (L/N)-san! It's Tendou, can you send your answers for marine science please??"

Ugh. Great.

You texted him back after saving his contact, "Okay, hold on a sec. Let me grab my notes."  Taking a picture of your work, you sent it to him. Maybe you shouldn't have done that, but you really had no reason not to. Tendou didn't seem like the person to share answers with the whole class anyway.

"Thanks (L/N)-san! Also, what do you listen to on your personal playlist?" 

Huh? Another odd question.

Picking up your phone, you sent him another message. "I usually listen to classical music. Right now I mainly listen to the Kreutzer Violin Sonata No. 9 and the Hoffmeister Viola Concerto in D Major. Why do you ask?" 

On his side of the screen, he chuckled at your curiosity. "Wakatoshi-kun, (L/N)-san responded. You can add these to your playlist too. Next time you should just ask her yourself." He messaged you back after showing Ushijima what you had sent, "I was just curious about what music you like."

His message seemed vague and you had a feeling there was more to it than that, but you let it slide. Your homework wasn't going to do itself, though it would be great if it did. You left your instrument in the small closet next to the bathroom and took dropped a stack of books on the desk. Since marine science was already finished, you only had calculus to do. 

After about 20 questions, it was too much for your brain to handle. Doing math this close to midnight was a bad idea, so you texted Tendou to see if he had finished.

"Tendou-san, sorry to bother you but have you completed the questions for calculus?"

Within the next few seconds you had received 3 pages of work that he had done himself. It was messy and most of it was illegible, but you were able to make out the important parts. 

"Thanks, I owe you one," you responded before plugging in your phone. You rushed to shower after finishing your assignment, rest was the number one priority right now. Usually you have no trouble falling asleep after a school day. Practice and homework drained you in more ways than one. However, you couldn't shake off the events of today.

Why did Ushijima ask me what piece I was playing? And why did Tendou want music from my personal playlist? Ugh.

It was all so confusing to you, but perhaps you would get answers tomorrow if you happened to run into them. You settled into your bed and closed your eyes.

In the boy's dormitory, Ushijima was also having trouble sleeping. "Tendou-san, do I smell?" His red-haired roommate laughed at his out of place question. "Why would you ask that Wakatoshi-kun? Yeah we all smell a little after practice, but there's nothing you can do about it besides wear deodorant."

He seemed to consider Tendou's words for a second, "(L/N)-san said I smell." At this, Tendou began laughing even harder. It was funny to see Ushijima get worked up over something so minor. "She's got a mouth on her, I'll give her that one. Just go to sleep already or finish the "Jump!" manga. And please stop reading the adverts." Tendou clambered up onto the top bunk in their shared room, his snores echoing in the room a few minutes later. 

Ushijima was still restless. He had no idea why he was stuck on your words from earlier and why you still invaded his thoughts. The uneasiness you made him feel was new. While it wasn't enough to scare him, it was intimidating. He didn't understand why this was happening now and with you of all people, but he was too tired to think more on the matter. Looking at the music from your playlist, he put on his headphones and listened to them before falling asleep. 

In the early hours of the morning, your phone lit up with another message. 

"(L/N)-san, we haven't talked in a while. How are you doing? Shiratorizawa must be something, though I don't regret my decision. Call me when you have the chance! ;) ~ Tooru <3"

A/N: And there it is folks! Oikawa Tooru is now an official player. What's your history with him? You'll have to read and find out! There are more surprises in store and things will only get better. Sorry if Ushijima seemed a little OOC, but I tried my best :P