Chapter 25: Concrete

"Ushijima-san," you were careful to tread lightly, "a-are you okay?"

The team was devastated by the loss, that much was evident, but what was even more shocking was the fact that their defeat came at the hands of Karasuno.

"Hinata Shoyo."

You gave him a confused look, "Huh?"

"Their number 10. He told me he came from the concrete." Ushijima just stared at the ground, "Aoba Johsai has always been infertile soil and he made that comparison to the abilities of his team."

"Did Karasuno lose to them?"

He nodded, "If Hinata-san believes his team to be concrete, then Shiratorizawa is among them as well."

There was nothing else to say. The game was over and everyone else was packing up to leave.

"We should go join the rest of the team," you tugged on his sleeve lightly, "come on."

He followed you silently, though he wasn't moping, his mind seemed to be elsewhere. The rest of the boys brought the equipment to the parking lot and once everyone piled on the bus you took a seat next to Ushijima.

There wouldn't be another stage for you to perform on, just like how his court disappeared from view. It was strange how some goals appear to be just within reach, but they can be yanked away in an instant. All that aside, at least one good thing happened today.

"(L/N)-chan, I'm sorry."

"For what?"

His deep olive eyes met yours, "If you hadn't gotten hurt then one of us would have been able to move forward."

"Oh Wakatoshi-kun, it's okay. I think it worked out for the better actually."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I've already had my chance to perform on a global stage before. Even if I can't make another memory there, I will always cherish the ones from today."

He glanced at your sprained wrist, clearly not believing a word you said, "How does that equate to working out for the better?"

"I wasn't finished yet, technically I still have a spot in the competition and there is someone else I'd like to take my place. If the changes are made tonight, it shouldn't be a problem."

"Who are you going to ask?"

You paused slightly, if this experience taught you anything it would be that not everything goes according to plan. Even so, there is always another path if you are open to seeing it.

"Seiya-san, the first year in symphony. She has potential and I think this opportunity is exactly what she needs to make herself known."

"I can understand that, turning your loss into a chance for someone else is admirable. I think that's one of the reasons why I love you," Ushijima gave you a half smile.

"Are there any other reasons why you love me?" It seemed that you wouldn't have to bring up the topic after all. Hopefully this would be able to clear things up between the two of you.

"Yes. I enjoy your companionship. Sometimes you make my chest hurt and breathing becomes difficult, but it's okay."

You couldn't help but giggle at his bluntness, "You could have used more endearing terms, I'll let it slide this time though."

He huffed a little before pressing on, "Do you want to hear the other reasons?"

"Yes please."

"Well, you are honest and friendly, even if I didn't reciprocate those actions at first. Your personality is intriguing and it makes me want to learn more about you. Since our match against the university team, I would have liked to think of you as a close friend, maybe even better than Tendou-san."