Chapter 14: Practice Game

"I-I, yes, I'm dating Oikawa-san."

Ushijima remained emotionless, "I see. Congratulations, I expect that this will not interfere with your managerial duties to the team."

Despite feeling happy about your new relationship, you felt a pang of guilt with the captain's words.

"Of course not, I will continue to do my best as manager!" You would give nothing less than your all for the team that took you under their wing. Smiling at Ushijima you grabbed his arm.

"Come on now, it's almost dinner time, where's the rest of the team?"

"They are still running."

Ah, no wonder he's here now. He finished early.

"Oh okay, well we can go save seats for them."

Letting go of his arm, the two of you walked side by side. There was never much to talk about with him, but that didn't mean you couldn't have a good time. 

You were about to say something when Ushijima spoke, "I would like to ask for more music recommendations." He had listened to the pieces you suggested every day while he was running. Even though they weren't upbeat, it reminded him of you.

In the past two weeks, Ushijima had grown quite fond of you. He would never openly admit it, especially now, but he was still unsure if this was because you were a girl. The captain never had female friends before, and now that he did it was hard to differentiate between romantic and platonic feelings. Not that he knew what romantic feelings would be like.

"Of course! I can text you more pieces later. Do you listen to any other music besides what I send you?"

He nodded his head, "Tendou has added quite a few songs to my playlist. Here, take a look."

You reached out to grab his phone, Tendou certainly had an interesting taste.

Billie Eilish and Post Malone? Awww, he also has some sweet songs on here too.

"What's so funny (L/N)-san?" He looked at you giggling quietly to yourself.

"Nothing, I just can't believe you listen to these songs. Which one is your favorite?"

"Hmm," he thought about this for a moment, "I like the song 'Happy Together' by The Turtles."

"I like that song too! But isn't that a little, I don't know, upbeat for you?"

He raised an eyebrow at you, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, why do you enjoy it? What makes it special to you?"

"..."

"S-Sorry, that might have come out wrong."

To you, it was always important to see how a certain piece or song made you feel. You were a hopeless romantic and it was hard not to give in to the emotions that poured out while listening to music.

"It makes me feel vulnerable."

What?

"But isn't it a love song? It's supposed to be happy!"

He looked at you out of the corner of his eye, "Yes it is. Let's go save seats for the team."

You were baffled by the abrupt ending to the conversation. Why does that song make him feel vulnerable?

Shaking off the thought, the two of you entered the dining hall and sat at a large table near the window. Looking out, you could see a group of figures by the gate. By squinting you were able to make out the flaming red hair that was Tendou. It was definitely the team alright, they'd be here soon.