Chapter 15: What the Future Holds

"Tendou-san, how do you know if you're in love?" 

The team was currently on the bus to the hotel before their game this afternoon. As manager, you were in the front with the coaches. The rooms had to be sorted out after you all checked in. There would be two people in each room and you would have your own. 

Tendou raised an eyebrow at Ushijima, "Well, do you think about this person all the time?"

"Yes."

"Do you care about them?"

"Yes." 

"Hmm, okay," the red head tapped his chin, "well how do you feel about this person?"

Ushijima glanced to where you were in the front, "I feel something inside me that I've never felt before."

"Okay? And what does that feel like?"

"It burns."

"It WHAT?" Tendou's eyes widened, "Um, that might be something more serious if it actually hurts you."

Ushijima shook his head, "It doesn't hurt me. My heart beats faster and I feel happy almost. I said it burns because it is hard to suppress."

"Ah, I see. Well, I can't tell you what you feel or not, but I think that you're falling in love."

The captain took a moment to think on this, "How do I stop falling in love?"

"What? Why would you want to stop falling in love? Sometimes you can't help your feelings you know." Tendou let out another exasperated sigh.

"She does not return my feelings."

"Oh, so it's a she?" Not that Ushijima was gay, but there was always a possibility. 

"Yes, I am not attracted to men Tendou-san."

"Okay, no need to get worked up. If you tell me who it is, I could help you."

"No, I will figure this out on my own." Getting others involved would be too complicated. 

"Suit yourself, just don't do anything stupid."

Ushijima grunted in response and remained quiet until they arrived at the hotel. 

You got off the bus first, helping the coaches unload the small suitcases from underneath. Upper body strength was not something you had and it soon became difficult to lift some of the cases. The boys didn't seem to notice though. They just grabbed their things and said thank you. Ushijima however realized that you were struggling.

"(L/N)-san, please let me help you. The suitcases are too heavy."

What? I'm not weak, I can carry them

Oikawa hadn't texted back, so understandably you were in a bad mood. Glaring at him, you scoffed.

"I'm not weak, I can handle it."

Ushijima seemed a little taken aback by your words and bowed apologetically. He was just trying to help after all.

The coaches gathered everyone in the lobby before checking in.

"All right everyone," Coach Washijō spoke up, "After we check in you can all head to your rooms to leave your bags. The practice game is in two hours so we should leave in about an hour if we wish to make it on time for warm ups."

The boys nodded in agreement, they had already decided who was rooming with who. As expected, Ushijima was with Tendou. Goshiki and Shirabu were together along with Semi and Ohira. You lost track after that. Yamagata and Kawanishi didn't specify who the rest of the team was with. 

After handing out the room keys everyone went to their rooms. You were all on the fifth floor, although your suite was at the opposite end from the rest of the team. The coaches didn't have to say anything for the team to know that your room was off limits. Recently, the atmosphere of the group had changed. While you were oblivious to it, everyone else noticed that Ushijima had taken a greater interest in you. And if the captain had his sights set, no one was going to get in his way.

"Tendou-san, here is your room key. You guys are in room 581. I have extra supplies and toiletries if anyone needs something so if you call I can bring it over." It was true that Tendou would be more likely to lose the key, but after your unnecessary outburst at Ushijima you weren't in a rush to start a conversation with him. 

You handed out a few more keys along with the coaches and soon everyone went upstairs. 

Making a mental note to apologize later, you set your bag down on the bed. It was quite big for one person, but it couldn't be helped. There was a lot on your mind at the moment and you needed to clear your head before the game. Supporting the team was the most important thing right now.

*BZZT BZZT*

A text message lit up your phone.

"Hi (L/N)-chan, sorry I didn't respond earlier. I have been quite busy with volleyball. Some fan girls stopped me after practice and one of them even confessed! Of course I told them I had a girlfriend, but they wouldn't listen! ;-; I miss you and I can't wait to see you again! Have fun at the game today!"

You just stared at your phone. Oikawa was an idiot sometimes, but he was an even bigger flirt. Whether it was unintentional or not, you were sure that he must have said something that caused the girls to fawn over him more. It couldn't be helped though, with his good looks and volleyball skills it was only natural that he would have a lot of fans.

Whispering to yourself you buried your face in pillows, "What am I going to do with you Tooru?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A whistle blew signaling the end of the first set. Shiratorizawa had pulled ahead, as expected from such a strong team. The second set would be starting in a few minutes but your mind was still elsewhere. Since you read Oikawa's text it was difficult to focus on anything else. 

"(L/N)-san? Are you okay? The first set is over and you haven't written anything in your notebook." Coach Saitō looked at you concerned.

"Ah, yes. Sorry, there's just a lot on my mind. I will record notes from the next one."

As everyone was preparing for the second set, you noticed Ushijima staring in your direction. He walked over to the bench and sat down quietly. The rest of the team was taking a water break while the coaches had gotten up to talk to some of the college players.

"Is there something you needed Ushijima-san? I apologize for earlier, it was wrong for me to snap at you." 

His eyes remained on the court but when he spoke it was clear he was focusing on you, "(L/N)-san, I have been thinking on our conversation about love."

Eh? He was?

"So, are you in love?" you peeked up at him, unsure of what else to say.

"I still don't know. If we can talk tonight after the game I would appreciate it."

He looked at you this time when you responded, "Sure, we can stay in the lobby area after dinner."

This was definitely a conversation you didn't want to miss. It seemed like Ushijima needed counseling and from what you were feeling right now with Oikawa, you could use a second opinion too. 

The captain gave you a swift nod before heading back to the rest of the team. Everyone was counting on him to lead them to victory. 

"Ushijima-san," he turned around to look at you, "you can do it!"

A/N: I'm sorry this chapter was so late. I was going to upload after my shift yesterday but I was super exhausted. This one is short than usual but I have a lot to unpack in the next one. I know we all love Oikawa too and I promise that I won't ruin reader-chan's friendship with him but he's got to go eventually. How? Well you'll have to read to find out ;)