Seventeen

It had been 2 weeks now since I left the house and began living my own life in the Bronx. I'd only been back twice, and my mother was doing a lot better and really wanted to get back to work so she could send me more money. But I'm actually ok, I started working at this cute little Italian restaurant a block away from my apartment. And as I have nothing else to do with my life, I can work everyday but my boss insists I have Fridays and Sunday's off unless they need extra help. My boss, Tony was actually really nice, although the restaurant does have ties to the Hernandez crime family, as Tony works with them. At least it's not Romano or Ferragno!

There wasn't much more news about Gloria and Enzo's engagement just that there would be a celebration in a couple of months. I haven't thought much of Enzo and he still hasn't picked up his rosary meaning he hasn't read my little note. But I wasn't supposed to be thinking of him, I was moving on now. I got my new life and that didn't involve Enzo Romano. I was finally moving on and happy with my life. I was so proud of myself. Although I always asked if he's been by but the answer is always the same, no.

I was getting dressed for work this morning and I applied my red lipstick. Since leaving the house, my whole look has changed a lot. I've always preferred an all natural look even if my skin isn't perfect. I over lined my lips and pouted, as I brushed through my curls. I loved work, it gave me something worth doing and I really enjoyed it. My boss was so nice and he was always looking after me like I was his own daughter. It was a Friday today meaning I only worked the hours they needed extra help, I was only working between 11-2 this morning.

I arrived at work a couple minutes early so I could put on my uniform and talk to my boss.
"Morning sweetie thanks for covering Danny," My boss Tony said as he greeted me.
"Morning boss. It's ok had nothing else to do," I said honestly, my life was just me working.
"Oh Viola dear. You don't have to work when you don't have to," My boss said.
"Yeah well there's nothing else for me," I said.
"Mmm I'll try and help with that. My son would love to take you out," My boss said, he was always trying to set me up with someone.
"Yeah I'll see."
"Yeah we will. See you later."

After getting my little apron on, I grabbed some cleaner and began cleaning down the tables and setting them with some cutlery. I'm not much of a people person and I preferred to clean the tables. But today as I was doing only what they needed me to do, I was on taking orders and serving. Once I was done for the day, I had some chicken, veg and potatoes. The one thing I loved about having this job, was all the free food that I would get. I hardly ever cooked myself just bought some bread that would last me all week. So working here was a true blessing, as I could eat all I want and get paid a decent meal out.

It was just after 3, I had my nice cooked food, and walked down the streets of the Bronx. I loved this place. Yes it was pretty rough, but I was full of culture and different people all around you. It was the place to be. And out of all the boroughs in New York, I'm happy I came to this one. It had been tough these past phew weeks, trying to get used to everything and being all by myself. I had to catch up with my mother and I was planning to, but as I took some extra hours, I couldn't. So I went to the nearest pay phone. Put in some change, and dialled my mothers number.

"Hey mum," I whispered into the phone.
"Hey baby how are you?" She asked.
"I'm good mum sorry I couldn't come to see you today I had some extra shifts," I said.
"It's ok baby, it's nice to hear your voice. And I'm happy your doing so well at your job," My mother said, I knew she would be sad I couldn't visit her, but I would next week.
"Yeah thank you, I'll come next week."
"Ok darling only if you can."
"Of course I need to see you, I miss you mum. I'll definitely be there next week."
"Ok hun I'm looking forward to it."
"Has he come by yet?"
"No sweetie I'm sorry. Give him time he might," My mother said and I really hope he does. It shows he cares, seeing if I'm there.
"Yeah ok mum. My times up I'll see you next week mum stay safe," I said.
"Yes baby see you dear," She said as my time was cut.

I walked back to my apartment to find a strange woman and man standing outside my door, wearing formal clothing. Gingerly, I approached them wondering who they could be. They flashed their badges, FBI great. What could they want with me? They smiled making me feel more at ease.
"Hello Viola Botham, I'm FBI agent Rosio Bower and my partner Scott Cooper. We just wanted to give you our card," Rosio said as she passed me a card with the FBI details.
"Thank you but why do I need your card?" I asked still unsure what the fuck was going on.
"It's nothing you've done it's just we know you know Enzo Romano and if you need to let us know anything, you can contact us," Rosio said.
"Umm I don't know Enzo Romano personally anyways," I lied. I'm not going to get him in trouble with the FBI, even though I want to.
"You sure?" Scott asked.
"Yes I am thank you. But I'll take this and hopefully I won't see you round."
"Ok Viola thank you again," Rosio said.
"Yeah thanks." What the actually fuck!