First Year - Chapter 5

Flitwick's Class

The four of us have Professor Flitwick today for class with people from other houses as well. He's a very short man, but makes up for it by standing on many books, although the class itself is pretty boring.

"One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation the ability to make objects fly." He starts, "Uh, do you all have your feathers?" Hermione raises hers to show that she would never forget any materials for class, "Good. Now, uh," He continues, "don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing, hmm? The swish and flick. Everyone."

"The swish and flick." We all repeat with him.

"Good. And enunciate. Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go then." Professor Flitwick finishes.

I start to practice, but nothing successful. The feather moves a bit but nothing exciting. I decide to look around to see how everyone else is doing, but so far no one's successful.

I look over to see Ron being rather violent with his wand, "Wingardrium Leviosar!" He says, waving his wand numerous times, clearly not doing it correctly.

"Stop, stop, stop." Hermione stops him, "You're going to take someone's eye out. Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's Levi-o-sa, not Leviosar." Hermione says matter-of-factly.

"You do it then if you're so clever. Go on, go on." Ron taunts, hoping Hermione will fail.

Hermione straightens up, preparing herself, "Wingardium Leviosa." She says, swishing her wand.

The feather slowly starts to hover up, "Oh, well done! See here, everyone! Ms. Granger's done it! Oh, splendid!" Professor Flitwick praises, as he's impressed with Hermione's skill and quick learning.

Ron then face plants himself into his book, admitting his defeat, and I snicker a little with Harry, seeing that he was watching them too.

We then hear a sudden explosion. I bet I know who's fault that is. I turn around to see I was correct, Seamus found a way to make another explosion.

"Whooaaa! Ooh." Professor Flitwick says, cringing at Seamus's now ashy looking face. 

"I think we're going to need another feather over here, Professor." Harry says, staring at Seamus's charred face.

After Class

Hermione and I then walk through the courtyard, Harry, Ron and Neville in front of us when we overhear Ron, "It's Levioooosa, not Leviosaaaar." He says in a mimicking Hermione voice, "She's a nightmare, honestly. No wonder she hasn't got any friends!" Ron then says in his normal voice.

I look over at Hermione to say that none of it's true, but she's already dashing by the three of them, "I think she heard you." Harry said, feeling bad for Hermione.

"Yeah she did." I say, walking up from behind them and smacking Ron in the arm with my book, "Don't be such an arse Ronald." I say, rolling my eyes.

I then run off to find Hermione crying in the girls bathroom, so I decide to sit with her and comfort her, "He's wrong Hermione," I say, pulling her into a hug, "he's jealous that you're so much better than him." I continue, "You wanna go to the Great Hall for the big feast?" I ask, "After all, it is Halloween. We could get Fred and George to help us prank Ron and scare the crap outta him!" I say, trying to cheer her up.

Hermione lets out a giggle but then says, "No, that's okay, you go on though, I don't want you to miss out on that."

"You sure?" I ask, but she gives me a reassuring smile and nod, so I head off to the Great Hall.