Second Year - Chapter 3

About the Chamber

It's the next day, and of course everyone is buzzing about the writing on the wall, wondering who's behind it. 

Today we have Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall, so that should shut some people up. I'm not too worried about my well-being since I'm personally a pure-blood, but being friends with a muggle-born is what worries me. I'm worried something might happen to Hermione.

Us students sit in class, waiting for McGonagall to come out and start class, so of course people start talking about the chamber again.

"I'm going to ask Professor McGonagall about the chamber today." Hermione whispers to me. 

"I dunno if she'll know much about it." I lie, I just don't wanna talk about the chamber any longer, I'm already worried enough.

"I bet she'll know." Hermione insists. I just shrug in defeat.

McGonagall then, right on cue, walks in to start the class, "Could I have your attention, please?" She asks. We all quiet down, "Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets. Like so." She walks over to her bird on the perch in the front of the room, "One, two, three, Vera verto." She taps the bird, which then turns into a water goblet, "Now it's your turn. Well, who would like to go first?" She walks down our desk row, "Ah! Mr. Weasley. One, two, three, Vera verto." She instructs.

Ron looks scared, pulling out his broken wand that he had poorly wrapped tape around, "Ahem. Vera verto!" He says, flicking the wand at his rat, Scabbers. Scabbers only half transforms. It turned into a goblet, but with fur and a tail poking out from it.

"Hahaha!" I hear people laughing in the back of the classroom.

"That wand needs replacing, Mr. Weasley." Professor McGonagall says. Hermione's hand then raises, "Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about... the Chamber of Secrets?" She asks hesitantly. 

McGonagall then also hesitates, "Well, very well." She gives in, "Well, you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw," She then pauses, "and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not."

"Three guesses who." Ron jokes, McGonagall just ignores him.

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families." She then turns to me, "In other words, 'pure-bloods.'" Is she assuming I have something to do with this? I'm not even a Slytherin, but then I realize she's not looking at me, she's looking at Malfoy. She must know how annoying he can be too, "Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school." She explains, "The heir alone would be able to open the Chamber and unleash the horror within, and by so doing purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic." 

"Muggle-borns." Hermione mutters. Malfoy then looks over at her, I just glare back.

"Well, naturally, the school had been searched many times. No such chamber has been found." McGonagall says, attempting to calm our fears, but she's worried too.

"Professor, What exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?" Hermione asks, seeing she can get the answers she wants now.

"Well, the Chamber is said to home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home of a monster." She replies.