First Year - Chapter 7

Studying and the Discovery

It's now spring at Hogwarts. Harry, Hermione, Ron and I still haven't figured out who Nicholas Flamel is, but we don't have much time to think about that with exams coming up and everything.

We're studying in the Great Hall, when Hedwig flies in to sit with Harry, "Hi Hedwig." Harry says.

Ron's not doing much studying, he's just going through his cards that he had collected from chocolate frogs, "Look at you playing with your cards. Pathetic! We've got final exams coming up soon." Hermione says, annoyed that Ron doesn't care as much as she does.

"I'm ready! Ask me any question." Ron says confidently.

"All right, what are the three most crucial ingredients in a Forgetfulness Potion?" Hermione challenges him.

"...I forgot." Ron responds, backing down.

"And what, may I ask, do you plan to do if this comes up in the final exam?" Hermione asks.

"Copy off you." Ron says, acting like cheating is the only answer.

"No, you won't!" Hermione says, disgusted at the thought of him cheating, "Besides, according to Professor McGonagall, we're to be given special quills bewitched with an anti-cheating spell." Hermione says.

"That's insulting! It's as if they don't trust us!" I roll my eyes at him, he then checks the card from his newly opened chocolate frog, "Dumbledore again!" He says irritated.

We hear laughter coming from other students, and we look over to see Neville hopping down the Great Hall with his legs stuck to each other, "Leg-Locker Curse?" I ask, looking at Neville's state.

"Malfoy." Harry says annoyed.

Neville then approaches us, "You have got to start standing up to people, Neville." Ron says looking at Neville wobble uncontrollably.

"How? I can barely stand at all!" Neville exclaims.

Seasmus then jumps up with his wand pointed towards Neville, "I'll do the counter-curse!" Seamus says eagerly.

"No, that's all I need... you to set my bloody kneecaps on fire!" Neville retorts.

Seamus's excited tone is then replaced by an angry one, "I don't appreciate the insinuation, Longbottom. Besides, if anyone cares to notice, my eyebrows have completely grown back!" Seamus says, turning around and stomping out of the Great Hall. 

I think he wants us to feel bad, but we just laugh seeing that he now has a bald spot on the back of his head.

We keep laughing until Harry exclaims, "I've found him!"

Ron, Hermione and I turn around to see Harry holding the Dumbledore card from Ron's chocolate frog, "'Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the Dark" Wizard Grindelwald in 1945–'" Ron says, reading off from the card.

"Go on." Harry says.

"'-for his discovery of the 12 uses of Dragon Blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner Nicolas Flamel!'" Ron says.

"I knew the name sounded familiar. I read it on the train that day." Harry says as realization hits.

Hermione then gets an idea and starts beaming, "Follow me!" She says as we all follow her out of the Great Hall.

We then arrive at the library, Harry, Ron and I all take a seat while Hermione looks for something, "I had you looking in the wrong section!" She says, slamming a book down onto the table causing the three of us to jump, "How could I be so stupid? I checked this out a few weeks ago for a bit of light reading." She continues, not seeing that I just had a mini heart attack from being startled.