Third Year - Chapter 2

Third First Day

Today's our first day of classes, like usual.

Today we have Divination and Care of Magical Creatures. I'm mostly looking forward to Care of Magical Creatures, we have it with Slytherin so maybe I'll get the chance to ask Malfoy what I've been wondering. That is, if I actually get the confidence. I've gotten less shy, but not that less

Harry, Ron and I get to Divination, and we take our seats at a small, circular table. The room's kind of musty, everything in it seems old. The tables, the chairs, and the teacher herself.

"Welcome, my children." She says in a misty tone, "In this room, you shall explore the noble art of Divination. In this room, you shall discover if you possess the Sight."

"The 'Sight?'" I whisper, raising an eyebrow at the professor.

I look at the other two in confusion, but they just shrug.

"Hello. I am Professor Trelawney." She introduces herself, "Together we shall cast ourselves into the future. This term, we'll focus on Tasseomancy, the art of reading tea leaves. So please, take the cup of the person sitting opposite you." Ron, Harry and I do a three-way swap, "What do you see?" She asks us, "The truth lies buried like a sentence deep within a book, waiting to be read. But first, you must broaden your minds. First, you must look beyond." She really emphasizes on the "beyond" part. I may not understand this, but I can appreciate her passion.

"What a load of rubbish." Hermione says. Wait, she wasn't here earlier...

"Where did you come from?" Ron asks, startled.

"Me?" Hermione asks, "I've been here all this time."

I'm about to argue with that, but Trelawney continues her lesson, by going over to Neville.

"You, boy." She says, "Is your grandmother quite well?"

"I think so." Neville replies nervously.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that..." Trelawney says, causing Neville to freak out, but she just moves onto Dean Thomas, a boy from a Gryffindor who I don't really speak to, but seems fairly nice, "Give me the cup." She says to the him. She looks at the cup, "Hm... pity." She says, shaking her head, "Broaden your minds." She tells all of us students.

"How?" I whisper, rolling my eyes.

Trelawney then suddenly turns to our table, "Your aura is pulsing, dear." She tells Ron excitedly, "Are you in the beyond? I think you are." She smiles, which somehow translates into Ron feeling fear.

"Sure." He says.

"Look at the cup." She says, "Tell me what you see."

"Oh yeah. Ummm..." Ron says, looking at Harry's cup, "Well, Harry's got sort of a wonky cross. That's trials and suffering." Ron says, looking back and forth between the cup and our Divination book, "And that there could be the sun and that's happiness." He says, shifting the cup, "So... you're gonna suffer, but you're gonna be happy about it."

"Give me the cup." Professor says, she then takes the cup, "Oh!" She yells, and puts it down immediately, looking like she'd just seen a ghost, Harry looks just as scared as her, "Oh, my dear boy." She says, shaking, "You have... the Grim."

"The Grim? What's the Grim?" I ask.

"'Taking form of a giant spectral dog. It's among the darkest omens in our world. It's an omen... of death.'" Says a boy in the back.

After that, the class stayed mostly silent until it was time for our next class, Care of Magical Creatures.

"You don't think that Grim thing's got anything to do with Sirius Black?" Ron asks as we walk down the cobblestone steps to Hagrid's Hut for our class.