25

I took Judith from Daryl, keeping my eyes on his. He looked more broken than ever. Worse than after the Sanctuary.

"You alright?" He asked, holding my back as we walked toward Barrington house.

"I'm fine." I reached out, and looked at Judith in my arms. "Hey Judy." I smiled, rubbing my thumb over her cheek, earning a small smile. "Did you come all the way here with Uncle Daryl?" I gasped, making her nod.

"Are you?" I looked back at Daryl. "Okay?" I shook my head. "I know it's a dumb question but... " I huffed, not knowing what to say.

"He was saving a stranger... He got bit." Daryl spoke, nodding to a tan man, that wasn't familiar. "Siddiq, he's a doctor."

I huffed out a laugh. "Of course he was helping a stranger." I smiled. "Hey." I stopped Daryl from walking, and held his face, looking at him. "Saving the world isn't a job for one." I told him, pulling him in for a kiss. "It's a job for the many." I motioned around us.

"I don't want you fighting." He shook his head.

"Yeah, well I don't want you fighting either." I shook my head, sitting with him against a car, and sitting Judith with us.

"I shouldn'ta had you out there last time... See what happened?"

"That can happen anywhere, anytime." I shrugged. "I will be careful. But I gotta keep my eye on you. And I'm an able body." I stood, sending him a wink. "You hungry, little lady?" I asked, offering Judith my hand. I turned as I walked away, seeing Daryl watch me.

A little while later Cal announced that Rick was outside the gates.

I took Judith to the front and handed her to her dad. He looked... Shattered. I didn't know the loss and hoped that I never would. Uncertainty ran up my spine, and I looked at Daryl who watch Rick walk through the gates.

If I had known the events that would be happening now I would've never proposed getting pregnant with Daryl.

I reached for Daryl's hand, letting him tug me into his chest.

"You led all those people here..." I smiled. "You're a good leader."

"Think so?" He bit at his lip, letting me lean back in his arms.

"I know so." I chuckled. "I missed you." I laid my forehead on his shoulder. "I hate splittin' up."

"Me too. Like havin' my eye on you."

"I'm sure you do." I teased. I felt him chuckle shortly.

"Perv." He shook his head.

I watched his face and sighed knowing it probably wasn't an appropriate time to be making jokes.

"M'sorry... I think the pregnancy hormones are getting to me." I let him go and stood beside him, looking around.

"S'alright." He shrugged, leaning against the post of the barn. "It's hot." He looked up at me, making me laugh.

"We've got a war to win Dixon. We'll save the victory sex for later." I chuckled, moving around him to find the new guy, Siddiq in the trailers.

I smiled, seeing him send Tobin away. "Hi... I'm Sam." I stuck my hand out, letting him shake it.

"Siddiq." He replied.

"So... Where can I help?" I asked.

"I feel like I should be asking that." He chuckled. He had kind eyes.

"We had a doctor. An obstetrician, actually. And the Saviors took him. I only know so much, and Enid was learning from Harlan... Between the three of us, we can manage." I began cleaning up the bandages he had used and cleaning the tools. "You should know Maggie is pregnant-"

"Hey." Daryl walked in, getting a smile from me. "I gotta get out there. Be ready." He nodded. I nodded, moving forward to kiss him. He moved around me grabbing one of the vests and handing it to me.

"Good luck." I called, catching his arm to kiss him once more.

"You too."

I looked at Siddiq and sighed.

Within no time, the horns were blaring. And the sun was falling.

I could see Maggie up on the balcony on the walkie, and heard a bike motor and gunfire.

I blew out a breath, ready for him to roll through the gate.

"Now!"

The gunfire shattered around me, and I locked my eyes on Saviors pouring through the gate.

A loud thud rang beside me and I shook my head. "Arrows!" I shouted, ducking down. "They're in." I called, falling back into the courtyard. I couldn't hear anything but I could see them crouching around the tents.

"Sam!"

I heard, and I could see the lights were going out.

"Samara!" I heard a growl. Daryl was grabbing my arm, dragging me with him.

"Damn it." I seethed.

"It's time to go!"

I followed him into the house, and we took our positions at the windows. They gathered in the courtyard and as the vans headlights flicked on we took fire.

"Wooh!" I cheered as they began to retreat. Rick cut them off at the gate.

I lifted my hand, getting a high five from Jerry.

I jogged down the stairs, finding Daryl on the porch.

"That was a win." I breathed.

"They ain't all dead yet." Daryl sighed.

"We can't kill them all, anyway." I huffed. "But this..." I chuckled. "This was a win."

"You got a messed up head." Daryl shook his head, making me sigh.

The light was beginning to break.

"We got a lot of stuff to do." He sighed. "But this was a victory..."

I glanced up at him, with a smirk. "Ah ah, Dixon. This was just a battle." I leaned forward ghosting my lips over his. "The war is yet to come." I bit at his bottom lip, and left him on the porch.

I helped Enid to pack rations in case we had to leave quickly.

"You did good." I told Enid, seeing her focus on the potatoes she was packing. "I know you're struggling, I see it. But you're doing good. You should know that." I patted her shoulder.

"Thanks." She forced a smile.

It took most of the day to pack rations and bury bodies.

I was changing out of my tight jeans, when Daryl opened the door to the trailer.

"Victory's a victory." He spoke, unbuckling his pants. I gaped at him, slightly amused.

"I guess you're right-"

"You guess nothing." He cut me off, crossing the room and latching his hand around my throat. I gasped, holding onto the table behind me.

"Daryl." I panted, letting his hands lift me at my thighs.

He took control of me, telling my body what to do, how to move, and how to react.

"I can't wait until we win the war." I huffed, pulling away from him.

"Mmm." He growled, scratching his beard over my neck. "This alright?" He asked, letting his hand crawl up my chest.

"Yeah." I let out a dark chuckle. "More than alright."