36

Noah sprouted like a weed right before my eyes. He was six years old now and more perfect than ever. He still looked like me, but his hair had lightened, into a light brown. I still couldn't help but see small characteristics that reminded me of Daryl.

He'd seen him, very sparsely over the years. I couldn't afford to haul a toddler through the woods every month. I'd take Noah to see Daryl every time he'd stop in at Hilltop, but then he stopped coming around, that was around when Noah had turned five.

I think it was easier for him to stay out there, alone.

I had progressed greatly, I could do anything from a C- Section, to an amputation.

"Come on Noah, focus." I said, unknotting his shoes again. I had become tired of him knowing how to tie multiple knots, but not his shoes.

"Mommy!" He whined, throwing his arms up.

"Just make the bunny ears." I told him.

I watched him twirl his small fingers through the laces and tie them together. I smiled ruffling his hair.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, love?" I asked, standing and picking up his flashcards.

"When can we go see Daddy?" He looked down at his kicking feet.

My stomach twisted, and I sat next to him.

"I miss him."

"I know baby. He misses you too." I nodded. "How about... After Mommy's rounds tomorrow we head to Hilltop, you wanna go see Uncle Jesus and Tara?" I asked.

"Then can we see Daddy?"

"Yeah, then we can see Daddy." I cleared my throat. I rubbed his back and sat up, laying a book in front of him. "Read your book, Mommy will be right outside, okay?"

"Okay."

I sat on the steps, and laid out my fishing hooks and string. I began hammering the hooks and curling them into a suture.

The next day, after checking everyone out, and assuring no one would die in my absence, I got Noah ready to head out.

"Mommy why doesn't Daddy stay back at home?" Noah asked from my lap, where I let him hold the horse's lead.

"Do you remember Alexandria?"

"Yeah, where Judy is?"

"Yeah baby." I smiled. "Well that used to be our home, and then we lost someone really important to us, he was Daddy's best friend. And Daddy wants to find him, so he stays out here-"

"With the walkers?" He asked unbelievably.

"Not with them." I chuckled.

"Mommy-"

"Woah." I pulled the reigns, stopping the horse and wagon. I sat Noah in his seat and hopped off the wagon. "Stay there, Noah." I jogged toward the two walkers, spilling out of the woods and stabbed the first in the head, I kicked it off my knife, and drove my knife into the second ones skull.

"Mommy! Mommy-"

I turned, seeing a walker creeping around the wagon.

"It's okay." I spoke, rushing over and stabbing it. "It's okay, baby." I hopped on. "Hiya." I led the horses.

Once we were outside the gates I could tell they were on guard about something. Cal shouted inside the gate, instead of letting us in.

"Come on baby." I said, as I hopped off the wagon. I spotted Carol and chuckled. "Aunt Carol is here." I whispered to him. I tied the horse up and moved to Carol. "What are you doing here?" I pulled her into a hug.