11

I excused myself from getting to know Denise as I saw Maggie making her way back to the house.

"Hey." I sent her a smile.

"Hey, how you doing?" She asked, rubbing my back.

"Surprisingly well." I nodded.

"Good, no running this time."

"No running." I promised.

Everyone was back at the house and had already eaten.

"Rick." I was taken back as I saw his shaved face. "You look good."

"Thanks, so do you." He chuckled.

I sat on the window seat with Daryl, who didn't seem amused.

"I'm gonna sleep in the first room off the hall..." I told him quietly. I could tell he hadn't showered, because his arms were still greasy with sweat.

"Alright, I'll take some blankets in there." He nodded, still not looking at me.

Deanna checked in with Rick and everyone opted to sleep in the front room, but I liked more of my privacy. I always had.

I took my thin pillow and threw it in the room, watching Daryl walk in the bathroom hesitantly.

I smiled to myself at how wary of certain things he was.

I was almost asleep when the door was pushed open. A fresh scent filled the room and I knew it was Daryl. I sat up and gave him a smile.

"You look different." He commented.

"So do you." I nodded. He didn't shave but he definitely trimmed his facial hair. "We look good." I laughed. "I feel great, anyway. I couldn't remember the feeling of soft legs." I sighed, running my hands over my calves that were under the blanket.

"It'll take some time to get used to... all this." I waved my arms around.

"We'll be fine." He moved to his knees, then laid behind me.

"Will we?" I asked, feeling his arms wrap around me.

"If this place ain't right... we'll make it right." He pressed a kiss to my shoulder, and I turned not able to wait to kiss his fresh lips.

This kiss was a lot deeper than the ones before. We let go of any insecurities. I felt brand new. Like I was fresh out of the package.

"I could get used to this." I muttered, feeling his stubble scratch over my neck.

"Yeah?"

I dropped my jaw, feeling his lips crawl over me. His hand crawled up my stomach, latching onto my neck gently.

"You should get some rest."

I sucked in an uneven breath and let him stand up and walk out. I didn't ask him where he was going or if he'd be back, I just did as he said and got some much needed rest.

Daryl must've returned some point in the night, because when I woke up he was laying there asleep beside me.

I decided to let him sleep. I pulled on a flannel over my tank top and tugged my boots on.

I could smell something, but didn't quite know what it was.

"Toast?" Glenn offered as I walked in.

"Toast?" I questioned, picking up a slice. "What a luxury." I smiled.

I made my way across the town to the infirmary where Pete was stitching somebody up.

"Hey, Pete right?" I asked, smiling at him.