39

But they didn't return the next day, and today was the fair. I had planned on taking Noah, but with these people out there, it wasn't a good idea, especially with Daryl still gone. Some people had gone with goods to trade, but I couldn't bring myself to put Noah in any type of danger.

"Sam... You're going to want to hear this!" I looked at Cal, coming out of the office. He motioned to the radio.

"This is Hilltop, over." I hit the button.

"This is Eugene, who am I speaking with? Over."

"Eugene, it's Samara." I spoke into the radio.

"A small collection of Hilltop's residents showed up at Alexandria's gates this morning."

"Who Eugene?" I questioned.

"Sir Henry, Connie, Daryl and-" He cut out. "And Lydia."

I shook my head, looking down at the desk in front of me.

"Are they okay?"

"Daryl has asked Alexandria for asylum for Lydia."

I rolled my eyes. He's gonna start another war.

"They have headed for Kingdom, but Daryl has asked to relay his whereabouts back to Hilltop."

I smiled at his thoughtfulness and nodded.

"Thank you Eugene." I smiled, relief filling my gut. I left the radio, telling Cal to monitor it and have someone at the gate.

"Noah!" I called. "Get your bag, love. We're gonna go to Kingdom." I grabbed our bags, filling it with enough for the day. I assured I had my knife and gun.

"Tara!" I called, stopping her at the gate. "I'm gonna follow y'all." I told her, pointing to the wagon we brought.

We had a smaller wagon and only one horse to pull, so it was just me and Noah in the second one.

We ran into some walkers on the way, and in the midst of taking them down a group of men swooped in to help us. "We're the Highwaymen, were your escorts to the fair." A man spoke, between killing a walker. I drove my knife into ones skulls and looked up to see Noah holding my gun.

"Noah..." I breathed, walking out of his line of shot. I took the walker down with my knife and snatched the gun. "What the hell are you thinking! Guns are very dangerous." My voice shook, as I holstered my gun.

"But I'm learning-"

"Yeah, learning! You are nowhere ready for a loaded gun! Especially..." I lowered my voice and sucked in a breath. "Especially out here."

I picked him up from where I'd sat him with Tammy and Earl and took him back to my wagon. The highwaymen did escort us, one of the men, John, rode beside me the entire time.

"Your boy has quite the aim." He smirked.

"Well he's learning from the best." I shrugged.

"That's you?" He chuckled.

"Is that hard to believe?" I smiled.

"What's a pretty woman like you doing fighting out here? You should be at home being taken care of-"

"I do the taking care of, where I come from." I looked ahead at the wagon in front of me.

"You got someone to take care of you?" He asked.

I nodded. "I'm spoken for." I smiled, lifting my hand to show him my ring.

"Darn." He let out a chuckle. "Funny thing to do when the world ends huh, finally start lookin' for a wife..."