Ch. 30: You saw me naked?

The bed felt amazing. It had been a long time since she had slept that well, but something felt off. Mackenzie let herself shuffle into the sheets, stretching to wake up her body. Something was definitely off; she did not sleep in a t-shirt. Either a lace nighty or nothing, but not a t-shirt, ever. And this t-shirt was surely a man's, it was way too large for her.

It was too soon.

There had been no warnings this time.

"No!" she screamed at the top of her lungs sitting up in the big bed, then she doubled over and threw up over the side of the bed.

Beads of sweat formed all over her skin, her hands felt clammy and her breathing was erratic. It felt like she was having a heart attack, like she was being held down by a crushing force inhibiting her breathing. Her hyperventilating was reaching a point where she became lightheaded and her vision blurred.

The nightmare was about to begin again.

Mackenzie looked around searching for clues as to where she was.

It was a beautiful, luxurious bedroom. Warm maroon painted walls, light grey carpet, light grey curtains pulled to keep out the sun, also not giving her a chance to look outside to see known landmarks. A small sofa in light leather with a chair and a light wood table. A low dresser and a vanity also in light wood. Framed pictures of breathtaking landscapes on the walls gave the room some personality.

The bed she was in was big and comfortable with maroon silk satin sheets. She could not see her clothes or her purse anywhere; she wore a black t-shirt and to her horror, no underwear.

But there was no smell of cigars. The lack of that sickening smell infused in her worst nightmares was not there.

That was the one thing even more off than her strange surroundings.

The door was slammed open and a little woman in her late 50's came rushing in. Her greyish hair pulled back in a neat bun, her uniform of a white shirt and a dark blue skirt with a little apron was meticulously ironed.

The woman was all flustered and rushing to get to the bed eyeing the pool of vomit on the floor carefully not stepping in it.

"Dear child, are you ok?" She was looking at her with concern over the rim of her gold framed glasses.

"Where is he?"

Mackenzie's heart was in her throat, she could barely breathe let alone think. She was ready to cry or flee. Neither had helped her in the past.

"He's coming, I'm sure."
"No, I can't. Not again, not yet," Mackenzie pleaded with the woman while all color left her face and she backed up in the bed like a trapped animal until she was pressed against the headboard and pillows.

Outside from the hall running footsteps could be heard, a lot of them, and before she knew it Gareth came crashing into the room moments later followed by Jace, Cracker and two others.

"Are you ok?" Gareth asked out of breath while rushing to the bed pushing the woman aside to sit next to Mackenzie. He did not notice or maybe he did not care about the vomit.

"I'm sorry," Mackenzie stammered. "I just thought... I think I had a nightmare. And I didn't know where I was." She glanced at the woman hoping she would not say anything about their little word exchange. She needed to breathe deeply, she felt paralyzed, every fiber of her was in flight mode and she was shaking like a leaf.

"Fuck," he muttered and pulled her into his arms pressing his lips onto her hair while rocking her. "I'm sorry, you were out cold last night so I brought you here to sleep."

"I'm sorry if I startled you all, I didn't mean to be a bother, I'm ok." She sent the guys at the door an apologetic smile. She hoped it was reassuring enough because it was all she could muster.

They did not look convinced, but they did tuck away their guns and assumed a more relaxed posture.

"No problem, Mackenzie. We'd rather run to your aid one time too many," Jace smiled and pushed the guys from the room and closed the door behind them.

"Mackenzie, I'm sorry about this. You were in no condition to drive, and I didn't feel right entering your home while you slept, so I thought this was the best option next to a hotel." Gareth scratched his neck and ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm truly sorry if I did something wrong, that was never my intention."

Completely drained of the energy she had felt when she woke up, Mackenzie relaxed into Gareth's warm embrace and clung to him while she calmed down. Breathing in his familiar cologne and relaxing at his warmth. His words made her realize he had saved her from having to explain why she did not live at her old apartment anymore and why she did not have a car either.

And what he had done was sweet in itself.

"Shush, Gareth. I was simply confused, you've done nothing wrong."
"Now, children, let the young lady take a shower and then breakfast is ready. Out Adjenkov, now!"
"Da, Nattie."

Gareth pecked Mackenzie's cheek and left the room with a wink at her.

"I'm, Natalya," the woman stated with a trying smile. "I'm the housekeeper here."
"Hello, I'm Mackenzie. And here is?"
"Oh, Mr. Adjenkov's mansion."
"Of course he has a mansion," Mackenzie replied with a light laugh. "Who put me to bed last night? Did he?"
"No, dear. I did."

Mackenzie gulped. "You saw me naked?"

How was she to explain it to anybody? She could barely explain it to herself. Natalya was standing there with a concerned look, and probably a lot of confused thoughts. It was not fair; she could not tell her or anybody anything.

"Did you do it yourself?" Natalya was shaking a bit when she asked.

"No."

"Then your secret is safe with me. Not a word, child. That's between you and him if you want to tell him." She smiled gently though the concern was still there. "But if you want my advice, you should tell him."
"No point, I won't be in his life long enough for him to care."
"He's cared for 5 years, I think he'll care no matter the time frame."

Why did people keep saying Gareth had cared for 5 years, he had pushed her away and not made any attempts to contact her to explain or rekindle their friendship. If he had cared, he would have done something.

They could tell her he cared now, with a bit of convincing she could believe that, but they should not tell her lies about what he had felt from when he threw her away until now.

His actions told her the truth about that.

Natalya shook off her little motherly smile and rushed Mackenzie out of bed. "Come now. Shower time."
"But my clothes?"
"Coming back from the dry cleaner as we speak. I'll bring it while you shower. I'll clean this mess, see you in a bit."

Absentmindedly Mackenzie brushed her teeth with the toothbrush provided in the bathroom, she did her business and took a quick shower. Everything she need was there, shampoo, conditioner, bodywash and even lotion. The products were not the same as she was used to, but they were a top brand and smelled nice.

Somehow, she was sure they were not there entirely for her benefit, the fact that they were there was a blessing.

Mackenzie took her time, she had to calm down and gather her thoughts. Gareth would be all questions later and he would want answers. What she would tell him was the big question.

Hi y'all.

Thank you for reading.
If you like it then pop a vote and leave comments. I'd love to know what you think.
Love Alix