Ch. 60: I can't Gareth, no...

The box was big, and Gareth carried it like it was nothing.

Mackenzie had tried on 5 different dresses at Olivier's, a fashion designer she loved but rarely had bought from. Gareth had taken her there after their lunch at a lakeside restaurant where they had sat by the window with a panoramic view over the lake.

Lunch had been idyllic for a lack of a better word. The table private, the view amazing and the food had been 5-star deliciousness served by discreet and polite waiters. Gareth had driven her there in his sportscar, he had told her that he had taken the weekend off; Vasili was in charge and all his men knew that unless an absolute emergency he was not to be disturbed.

During lunch Gareth had pushed a rectangular wrapped box across the table for her and smiled shyly. First, she had thought it was an extravagant piece of jewelry, it had turned out to be a handmade Japanese kitchen knife for her collection. She had sat there with tears in her eyes, they were not cheap, and Gareth could afford it, but it was the right knife. He had bought the exact one she had been talking about one night when they had eaten together.

Then he had taken her to Olivier's and told her to get whichever dress she fancied for their dinner later. The floor length dress was a dream, its color made her skin glow in contrast. It was the absolute winner of the ones she had tried; an off the shoulders figure hugging silk dress in red which flowed in a cascade of fabric around her legs in orange and yellow. It was like moving fire. Gareth had not said anything to her choice, he had nodded in approval and thanked Olivier, who had personally fitted Mackenzie for the dress.

They had put the box in the car and gone for ice cream. In the cutest way Gareth had grabbed her hand and intertwined their fingers, brought her hand to his mouth for a kiss and refused to let it go while they walked around the city plaza.

Like a real couple.

People had been looking at them; Gareth had not been his usual possessive and protective self. He had been more laid back still he had acted in a way to make others know that she was off limits. It had felt secure, liberating to not hold back their attraction to one another and right to be there together.

They had gotten ice cream, him his usual hazelnut and her champagne sorbet. Then he, of course, had been all jittery for his coffee fix. Sitting on a bench overlooking the busy plaza while drinking coffee he had pulled out a small envelope from his inner pocket and given it to her. Mackenzie had scolded him telling him that he did not need to give her gifts; Gareth had shrugged and told her it was what he wanted to give her.

The envelope held 5 gift certificates to different street kitchens around the city where she could have lunch delivered from. The consideration and thought he had put into the gifts were blowing her mind, that was the Gareth he never showed anybody, and that he showed her attested his commitment to his words.

He wanted her to be his girlfriend.

After, he had taken her to get her hair and makeup done; he had sat there at the salon playing with his phone and glancing at her from time to time, not once had he looked bored or like he wanted to get out of there. The other women at the salon had been swooning over him, maybe because of his looks, he did look like a model in his black suit; though Mackenzie had a feeling they were appreciating him because he sat there with her and did not go do guy stuff while waiting or whine about it taking too long or being boring.

Back at the apartment they had taken an hour apart to get ready. Gareth had been waiting for her in the living room with his whiskey and cigarettes when she had come out from her room.