Ch. 37: Listen up, mate

Not wanting to leave the bed, he stayed there with a warning of only 5 minutes more to himself. The sun was already pouring into the room and bathing them in its sharp, warm rays. One ray in particular made his day. The one grazing over and lighting up Phoenix's handsome face. He looked at peace as he slept, snoring softly. His dark tousled hair falling over his forehead to reach his dark lashes against his tan cheeks.

Jace could watch him all day every day if the universe gave him a chance. Why did he have to fall for the one guy who would never settle for a douchebag like him?

And Phoenix would be settling if he chose Jace, that much Jace was certain of. He knew himself, though always the jester he was serious and honest with himself, and he was not boyfriend material.

He was a sleazy man whore with little to no morals on the subject. He knew his eyes would wander and he would feel attracted to other people, it did not matter if it were men or women, he simply liked good looking people.

But he had feelings for Phoenix, he wanted to be somebody Phoenix would find interesting outside the bedroom, somebody he would like to talk with and date, and Jace knew what Phoenix deserved was not something he could live up to.

Even if he wanted to try and change it all came down to Phoenix anyway, every time they had hooked up Phoenix had sneaked out.

It had made no difference if they were in Phoenix's or Jace's apartment or some hotel somewhere. Phoenix had been gone the morning after every single time and when they met later Phoenix had not mentioned it or acknowledged what had occurred.

Actions spoke louder than words, Jace was the eternal booty call to Phoenix.

Sighing, Jace lovingly looked at Phoenix one more time. All he wanted to do was reach out and caress that five o'clock shadow on his chin, he refrained and slid out of the bed as carefully as possible to not disturb Sleeping Beauty.

He walked to the bathroom connected with his bedroom and did his morning routine emerging 20 minutes later shaved and newly showered.

Absentmindedly he pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, not caring at all what he swiped down from the shelves in his closet, and exited the bedroom with one last look at Phoenix.

Cracker was on the couch still sleeping cuddling one of Jace's throw pillows as a teddy bear. He guessed Mackenzie and Gareth were sleeping too in his guest room.

Tired and with a budding hangover he tiptoed barefoot to the kitchen damning Mackenzie to hell for girl's night, though he had to admit it had been fun.

Jace was met with the smell of freshly made coffee when he entered the kitchen from the living room. Gareth sat on a bar stool at the kitchen island, well, he hung, but he was there, nonetheless.

Without a word Gareth pointed at the coffee machine indicating what Jace already knew.

He sorely needed a caffeine fix.

"So..." Gareth said hoarsely, clearly marked by too many cigarettes and more than his share of alcohol. "Did you two kiss and make up?"
"You know?" Jace looked at him in disbelief.
Gareth rolled his eyes. "Of course, I know! What do you take me for? Some kind of idiot?"

Jace plonked down on a stool next to Gareth with his coffee not wanting to answer because no matter what he answered to that question it would most definitely sound like a yes.

"Listen up, mate," Gareth sighed. "I care who my men are involved with because it's my job to make sure that person is safe when associated with us. And I have to be sure that my men have their head in the right place to do their jobs and stay alive. But I don't give a fuck who my friends sleep with or fall in love with as long as they're happy." He patted Jace on the shoulder. "I personally think you two would be good together, but in the end that's not for me to decide."