Ch. 100: People do that?

It had been the best 24 hours of Gareth's life.

It sounded cheesy.

But it was as simple as that.

He had thought that the 24 hours he had spent with Mackenzie for their deal would have remained at the top of that list forever. Even with her leaving him at the end, he had thought them the best possible.

How mistaken he had been.

That day with Mackenzie; hearing her say 'I do', seeing her that happy with dinner, gifts and everything had him smiling.

The sex had been mind-blowing.

The first part of playful massaging and then working her up, seeing her enjoy her punishment. That he had loved. The second part, where his temper had thrown her in at the deep end of his darkness had made him delirious with her acceptance.

Gareth would be the first to admit he had been a complete wanker about that little threat. Mackenzie had meant nothing by it, he understood that, she had even apologized after, when she had realized. Still, it had been like the hurt and fear had taken him over and he had been a wanker.

He was lying there looking at her sleep, she had to be knackered from what he had put her through. The energy and stamina she had shown him would forever amaze him. How anybody could be that strong and so compliant, he would always have difficulty understanding. He was grateful for her walking into his world and brightening it up.

Bringing light to his darkness was her greatest gift to him.

She was beautiful. Her hair was a mess, and she was still a vision. Everything about her was beautiful. Mackenzie's eyes were closed, her long lashes rested on her cheeks, she was still puffy from crying.

He hated her tears but loved her crying in those situations. It was most captivating to watch and listen to. How she channeled the pain and frustration and cried out between the moans and her body's positive reaction to him and what he did. She had been a lot more vocal with him, not that he needed it, it was a help for him to read her.

Mackenzie stirred a little like she felt she was being watched. She let out a little sigh, licked her lips and kept sleeping.

"Good girl," Gareth whispered to her. She needed rest. She had deserved it more than anybody. If it were up to him, she could take some from Jace who had been resting more than his fair share.

Just because he had gotten his rocks off, it did not mean he had forgotten about the outside world. Gareth was weighed down by the responsibility of keeping his men safe, ensuring their future. By marrying Mackenzie, he had accomplished that. It did not remove the pressure; it just gave a little respite in his worries.

It did not take away his guilt.

That constant knot in his stomach every time he thought about Jace, the pain he had been in, how lonely he must have felt in those moments thinking he would die in that cold parking lot. And Phoenix, his friend, his family. The pain he went through waiting for Jace, the guilt was festering inside Gareth.

"Your teeth are noisy, my love," Mackenzie softly mumbled still looking like she slept.

Gareth had not realized he had been grinding his teeth.

"I'm sorry, malyshka. Go back to sleep." He smoothed her hair back and pulled the covers up over her shoulder, more for his sake than hers, because he had been able to see her breasts and the red, stripped skin went straight to his groin.