Ch. 90: No change

Mackenzie got into the car waiting for her. Her bodygoons had learned to be more discreet, it had looked like she was in a music video when they walked behind her in their black attire. She had been forced to asked them to not crowd her as much and dress a bit more casual. Of course, they had asked Cracker permission to accommodate her wishes, he had luckily understood and approved it.

Fabian was driving as usual and Anatoly, who was the head honcho goon, sat in the front where the rest followed in the car behind them. Anatoly was a man of few words, he spoke gruffly whenever he opened his mouth but there was a gentleness to his face when he talked with Mackenzie, something protective in his eyes almost like it was personal to him to keep her safe at all times.

He had been furious with her when she had gone to The Mansion that night to meet Gareth without informing him or his team to keep her safe. Maybe Cracker would have his ass if something happened to her. Mackenzie had been diligent with letting him know after that.

It was Friday afternoon.

Mackenzie had been at the salon to make appointments for Monday to get her nails done and get waxed. She had booked a hairdresser and makeup artist to come to their apartment on Tuesday to do her hair and makeup before the wedding which Gareth had informed her would be at 2 PM at a judge's office in the center of town.

Her dress she had picked out, it would be ready for delivery Monday. It was not a lavish wedding dress like she had dreamed of as a young girl; it was a sexy lace dream with some bead work which to most would look like a normal evening dress, but still have the weeding feel for her and Gareth.

It was a secret wedding after all.

It did not matter to her where the wedding was held, what she wore or that her father and their friends would not attend. All she wanted was to be his and to know he was hers.

Extravagance had never been something Mackenzie had liked. Growing up with wealthy parents, she knew how superficial and vain people could be and had an ingrown hatred for it. With Gareth it was different, he did not show off or pretend like the people she had known growing up.

Gareth was not a snob who sat at a country club doing nothing but look down on other people or only ate at 5-star restaurants, and complained about every little thing or bragged about his money. Yes, he wanted things his way and was willing to pay for the privilege, but he did not expect 5-star treatment at a 1-star establishment.

Yes, Gareth had money and dressed nicely, drove nice cars, lived in a fancy apartment. He had worked hard and reaped the benefits. He liked his lifestyle and took some things for granted, he had earned the right to do that. Still he could drink cheap whiskey and eat at a diner with no concern.

And he wanted to give her everything that money could buy. Not because he was buying her love, just because he felt she deserved it. It was his way of sharing what he had worked for. An unnecessary extravagance she had to indulge him in.

Gareth had given her a credit card and told her there were no limits, whatever she wanted to buy she was free to buy it, only demand he had was he was in charge of her bouquet and wedding ring. Of course, he was in charge of the transportation, dinner and everything practical too, things she gladly let him do.

At the jeweler's she had chosen a ring she thought he would like. If he did not want to wear it, then that was ok, but she had wanted one to give him. She had chosen a wide black titanium ring with a belt of black diamonds, and had it engraved.

It had taken every Euro she had saved since Gareth had insisted on her not using her own money, but she had paid for it herself. She would have plenty of time to save more money, if it were up to Gareth, he would just pay for anything she needed in the future anyway.