Chapter 8

Allister awoke with hair in his mouth. Bridget was trying to be quiet as she was crawling around in the tent but her long hair had other ideas. He tugged on a piece to get her attention. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"...Hair in my face," he said groggily.

"My hair ties are missing. How am I supposed to braid my hair without them?"

Allister looked over his friend. Her knee length hair was messy since she was an active sleeper to say the least. He called Cheshire to see if he saw any hair ties. The gengar phased through the tent and laughed. He flipped the flap and the kids saw the purrloin playing with her hair ties. Corsola squirted water at the kitten to distract it from the hair ties.

Bridget chided the kitten and grabbed her hair ties. The corsola sprinkled water over them to clean them up for her. Allister grabbed a hairbrush and helped brush her hair. It was something he did often with Bridget because it was soothing for him. Bea was doing her morning training regimen nearby and had set up some snacks for the kids to munch on. He braided her hair and put on the hair ties for her.

Bridget hugged him and grabbed the snacks for them. They ate the snacks with their pokemon and then changed out of their pajamas. The little girl checked her egg to see if it was any closer to hatching but it was sadly not. She began to hum while she went through her pack to find her feather toy. She had a feeling that the purrloin would like it and wanted to test out her theory.

Allister watched his best mate as she hummed and went through her things. She was always so lively and happiness seemed to seep out of her. She found a feather toy and proceeded to play with the pokemon closest to her. He was happy to have a friend like her. Bridget never tried to push him out of his comfort zone and would help him with things that were difficult for him. His school bullies were also afraid of her. His best mate may not have formal martial arts training but that didn't stop her from fighting. He felt bad that she would get in trouble for defending him and told her she didn't have to but she would laugh and say that's what mates were for.

He remembers when Bridget first got in trouble for fighting. At the time, she went to a school back in Ballonlea. Allister was in his first year of school and was already getting bullied for being different. He didn't tell anyone about it because he felt ashamed that he was bullied. His mum had a hard enough time dealing with being a young widow. The bullies were a few grades ahead of him and they would chase him and when they caught him would beat him up. That day, Bridget had gotten out of her school early due to an impadimp causing mischief. She had decided to do a surprise visit to see him. He didn't know when she got there but as soon as the bullies started messing with him, she tackled the biggest boy.

"You leave him alone!" She started punching, kicking, and biting the boy. The other two boys were frozen in shock that a little girl in a frilly pink dress was fighting their leader. The boy threw off Bridget and he spat out blood from the cut on his lip.

"You don't even go to our school why are you defending that freak," snarled the boy.

His friends decided to put their two cents in about what just occurred.

"You got hit by a girl."
"She bit you too. That means you got cooties now."

The boy yelled at his friends to shut their gobs about what just happened. Bridget wasn't paying attention to them since she was checking on Allister to make sure he wasn't hurt.

"Did they give you any boo boos?" He was planning on lying but he didn't want his best mate to be angry with him. He slowly nodded his head.

Bridget patted his head and said, "I will fix your boo boos when we get to your house." She was all smiles with Allister and the boy could see why some called her faelike. Those people didn't know how right they were. The pink-clad girl turned back to the bullies and her smile took a darker tone.