Chapter 10

Sheer Mountain's eyes fluttered open and she raised her head slowly. She was back on the overlook after saying goodbye to her mother and Mosscloud. Her heart ached as she said farewell to her mother, she had been without her for so long. She slowly rosed to her paws and glanced towards the sky as the stars started to fade away from the sky with the sun taking their place.

She had made her decision, but she had something to take care of first. Before you return. Mosscloud had spoken. You need to talk to Owlpaw. She is severely blaming herself for the loss of your father, I told her there was nothing she could do but she didn't want to believe me.

Sheer Mountain had lashed out at Owlpaw for something that wasn't her fault. She felt so incredibly guilty about it, and she needed to make things right. Sheer Mountain left the overlook and into the cavern. She spotted Owlpaw sitting outside her cave, she honestly surprised to see the she-cat awake. It wasn't even dawn yet.

Owlpaw's blue eyes were distant and glazed over with exhaustion as she stared at her paws. Sheer Mountain once again felt guilt clawing at her. She slowly approached Owlpaw and she looked up, panic flashing in her eyes for a moment. She looked like she wanted to run away.

"Owlpaw," Sheer Mountain kept her voice calm. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"S-sure." Owlpaw rose to her paws, her legs shaking. The two of them sat to the side to talk.

"I wanted to apologize for the way I reacted." Sheer Mountain bowed her head shamefully. "You didn't deserve it, I know you did everything you could for my father and I'm so incredibly grateful for that. At least he died knowing that you tried, I know he would be grateful for that."

"Mosscloud told me..." Owlpaw whimpered. "She told me that I couldn't and I still tried..."

"And I appreciate that." Sheer Mountain rested her tail on Owlpaw's shoulder. "I am so grateful, my father lived a great life and now he's back with my mother. You are meant to be a medicine cat, I know you are." Owlpaw lifted her head weakly, she still didn't seem convinced. Maybe this will make her feel better. "Last night," Sheer Mountain spoke. "I was so desperate for answers, I felt loss without him so I went to the overlook and begged for answers." Owlpaw looked at her curiously. "And I was visited by Mosscloud and my mother."

Owlpaw's eyes went wide and suddenly she lit up with energy. "You were?"

Sheer Mountain nodded. "It was unlike anything else I've seen before. I was convinced I would never see my mother again, and there she was. The same as I remembered, it was incredible." Sheer Mountain felt herself getting emotional again. "She promised me she would be by my side the entire time." Owlpaw stared intently at her. Does she know what I'm going to say? "And that's why," Sheer Mountain took a deep breath. "I'll do it. I'll lead your Clan."

"You will?" Owlpaw jumped to her paws. "Oh my goodness, Sheer Mountain this is incredible." Her eyes shimmered with newfound energy. After a moment she calmed herself down and dipped her head. "Thank you so much, Sheer Mountain. This means so much to us."

"I hope so." Sheer Mountain sighed. "I still have no idea what to do."

"We can teach you." Owlpaw replied eagerly.

"Now if I do this," Sheer Mountain spoke up. "Then I need you to do something for me."

"Anything."

"If I'm going to become a leader then I need you to follow your dreams of becoming a medicine cat." Owlpaw blinked in surprise. "Don't let my father's death deter you away from what you know you want to do. If my destiny is to lead this Clan then your destiny is to become a medicine cat for yours."