Chapter 28

Mountainstar and Mothflower left the Spirit Garden together, padding up the small stone path and into the fresh-air. Mountainstar breathed in the chilly air. She could see the sun slowly starting to rise up in the dark sky. "It will probably be morning by the time we get home." Mountainstar mewed. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah." Mothflower nodded slowly. "This is all so strange." She mewed quietly as they started to pad down the mountain side. "My name has been Cocoa for so long, and now it's different."

"Same here." Mountainstar agreed, still trying to adjust to the fact that her name had changed. "But even as weird as it feels," She lifted her head. "It feels right."

"I suppose." Mothflower's voice was low. She clearly doesn't feel the same. Mountainstar realized. She may just need more time. They two of them walked side by side along the riverbank in LichenClan's territory.

Mountainstar's stomach growled fiercely with hunger, but she knew that she was not allowed to hunt on this land. That's another thing I have to get used to. She told herself. But I need to learn how to live within my own territory.

At long last, with Mountainstar feeling both physically and mentally exhausted they reached their own territory. There's so much I need to do before I can rest. Mountainstar noted. I need to give all my warriors their true warrior names, I need to make Nettle my deputy and I need to make all the young cats apprentices.

Mountainstar had so many responsibilities now, she wasn't sure if she would be able to handle them all. Plus there's the gathering tomorrow night where I have to tell the other leaders that I'm a true leader now. Her mind was buzzing, and all she wanted to do was sleep and eat.

Mountainstar and Mothflower finally reached their camp and Mountainstar breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm glad we're back."

"What happens now?" Mothflower questioned.

"First I need to give everyone names." Mountainstar replied. "And I need to hold an official ceremony for Nettle to become my deputy."

"Do you remember how to do all that?"

"I think so." Mountainstar nodded. She had gone over the various ceremonies she would have to perform as a leader many times with the Clan cats. I can't screw this up now. Mountainstar stepped into her camp, walking up the path. She saw her Clan busy at work, making nests and sharing prey. They already look like they're at home. They all saw her, clearly waiting eagerly.

"Sheer Mountain!" Wren called, running up with her brothers following close by. "You're back! Did it work."

"It did." Mountainstar purred. "But I'm not Sheer Mountain anymore." She looked towards the small outlook that hung over her den, they had decided on it being the Clan gathering spot which they uncreatively named The Overlook. "I need to do something." She climbed the small jagged path up to the Overlook and glanced over her Clanmates. This is the first of many times I will be up here. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Overlook for a Clan meeting!" Her call rang out through the mountains, those words felt right. This is my place as leader. Most of the Clan had already gathered, and once everyone was in attendance, Mountainstar knew she could begin.

"I want to start by telling you all the the ceremony was a success. I met with StarClan and they gave me nine lives. They gave me the name Mountainstar, and we are now MountainClan." Happy murmurs spread through the group.

"MountainClan sounds so cool!" Spider gushed to Ginger who nodded in agreement.

"Our medicine cat also had a ceremony, Mosccloud made her a true medicine cat and gave her the name Mothflower." Mothflower ducked her head sheepishly as her Clanmates cheered her on. "But now, the rest of you need Clan names as well. I'm not going to hold the exact ceremony for all of you, but you all still must take the oath." She cleared her throat. "Cats of MountainClan, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and defend the Clan, even at the cost of your lives?"