Chapter 2

"Sheer Mountain! Sheer Mountain, my precious daughter. Open your eyes!" Sheer Mountain's eyes slowly opened. She lifted her heavy head, letting out a large yawn. Cuddled up next to her was Wren, Finch and Sparrow. Her heart filled with the love at the sight of them. They're so sweet. She nuzzled her kits gently. Sheer Mountain didn't give birth to the three kits, but she loved just as much as if she had.

Sheer Mountain looked towards the entrance of the cave. She saw the light of dawn just barely peeking through the entrance. She slowly stood up, careful not to wake the kits and stepped over them, out into the cavern entrance. The early air was brisk, she suppressed a shiver and glance up at the sky, she could still see the stars.

She had heard her mother's voice in her dreams. Sheer Mountain hadn't dreamed of her mother in moons, not until Owlpaw and the others showed up. Sheer Mountain sighed and started walking towards the cliff. She sat down on the edge, looking at where the rock had broken, causing her mother to fall to her death.

Sheer Mountain sat down on the edge of the cliff. The Clan cats coming into her life had changed everything she ever though she knew. Sheer Mountain had always considered her mother insane, her insanity is what caused her to die. Always talking about cats in the stars, which Sheer Mountain had written off as part of her madness until the Clan cats showed up.

Owlpaw had told her of something called StarClan and that when Clan cats die, they believe they live in the stars. Sheer Mountain had been so infuriated with this information, and she didn't know why. She had eventually calmed down and made up with Owlpaw, but then Owlpaw had changed her world once again, telling her that the reason the Clan cats had come to her was because Sheer Mountain was supposed to lead an entirely new Clan.

For days after Sheer Mountain had been told this, she would toss and turn as her mother's voice rang in her ears. She figured that the whole situation was driving her mad. She had really enjoyed making friends with Owlpaw, but starting a completely new life? With a new name and a new home? Sheer Mountain couldn't even imagine it.

Owlpaw was an incredibly interesting cat. She was young but had an interesting life and views. The other Clan cats were similar to what she knew. They hunted and fought like most loners, but they had very interesting skills. Other than that, they weren't that different from other rogues and loners Sheer Mountain had met in her life.

Owlpaw, however, had eyes full of curiosity. She was smaller than normal and had a knowledge of herbs and seemed to be particularly driven by their mission. The others seemed to view it as a simple task, while Owlpaw seemed dedicated to it, like she had been born to do it. I've never really believed in destiny, but Owlpaw is doing what she was meant to.

"I was wondering what was up here?" Sheer Mountain heard a voice that made her jump slightly. She looked over her shoulder, not expecting someone else to join her. She saw the rouge Nettle standing at the entrance. "What are you doing up here?"

"I woke up early." Sheer Mountain explained. "This is where I come to think." Nettle was the newest member of her home, and at first Sheer Mountain had felt incredibly hostile towards the rogue when Owlpaw discovered her, but after Nettle saved Owlpaw's life from Raptor. Sheer Mountain had welcomed Nettle into her home and had warmed up to the rouge. She had good stories that she would tell Finch, Wren and Sparrow.

"It's pretty up here." Nettle approached Sheer Mountain, limping as she walked.

"Are you okay to be walking around?" Sheer Mountain checked, looking at her scarred leg.

"Yeah," Nettle nodded, sitting down a little ways away from Sheer Mountain. "Owlpaw actually recommended I start getting out and stretching my legs. I've been lying down too long."