Chapter 13

Sheer Mountain rose from her nest and stretched, feeling energy flow through her body. She was eager to set out and get searching for members for her Clan. With each passing day she was becoming more accustomed to to the thought of leading a Clan. Even if they had only found a few possible members, she was eager to meet them all more in depth.

She stepped out into the cavern where she saw the Clan cats all ready to go. She knew that almost all the Clan cats except for Leafdawn and Slatepaw were going. Sheer Mountain had hardly ever spoken to the fierce AshClan apprentice. He seemed to have no interest in this mission, it made Sheer Mountain wonder why he had been chosen for this journey.

"Sheer Mountain!" Sheer Mountain heard Owlpaw call her name. The young apprentice's eyes were full of energy. Sheer Mountain was relieved to see that Owlpaw had so much energy, she had been so down trodden lately. Owlpaw is the complete opposite of Slatepaw, this mission was her destiny.

Sheer Mountain quickly padded over to the group of Clan cats. "Good morning." Sheer Mountain dipped her head.

"I suggest you get something to eat." Seedclaw mewed. "We'll be leaving as soon as possible."

"Good idea." Sheer Mountain picked herself up a sparrow and quickly ate it before grouping up with the Clan cats. Sheer Mountain looked towards Leafdawn. "You're sure you're alright with keeping an eye on the kits?"

"Of course." Leafdawn purred. "They can't be any worse than Slatepaw." Slatepaw grumbled to himself and Sheer Mountain laughed at his expense. Knowing her kits were safe in the paws of Leafdawn, she and the others headed out. They started towards the twolegplace and Sheer Mountain felt like today would be a good day.

I'm supposed to lead this Clan. Sheer Mountain reminded herself. So there has to be cats willing to join it, right? They reached the twolegplace and at Seedclaw's direction, they decided to check the edges of the twolegplace for loners first. They passed the home of Briar and her sisters and Sheer Mountain caught the scent of another cat.

"There's a cat nearby." She alerted the others. They started looking and Sheer Mountain noticed Owlpaw following the scent close. It's a shame she doesn't like hunting. She's such a good tracker.

"Over there." Owlpaw noted, Sheer Mountain saw a small den tucked in a nearby cluster of trees. The group approached cautiously and Sheer Mountain spotted a mound of brown fur behind the nest.

"Excuse me." Seedclaw raised his voice, getting the cat's attention. The cat poked his head around his den and looked at the large group of cats in confusion.

"If you're looking for prey I don't have any to spare." The tom replied, though he didn't seem scared, mostly annoyed.

"We're not looking for prey." Owlpaw stepped forward. "We just want to talk to you for a moment."

He narrowed his eyes slightly but relaxed. "Alright." He sat down.

"What's your name?"

"Trout." He replied.

"My name is Owlpaw, and these are my friends."

"That's uh, a strange name. No offense, sweetie."

"None taken." Owlpaw purred. "You see, we've travelled from quite a ways away. We all come from Clans. Clans are groups of cats who work together to hunt and look after each other. We're creating a brand new Clan and we need cats to join."

"How exactly do you work together?" He questioned, but Sheer Mountain couldn't help but notice he looked interested.

"We share dens, we hunt in patrols and provide for our Clanmates. When we have queens nursing kits then we hunt for then, or we hunt for our elders or the sick and the injured. We live in a territory that we protect. Warriors train to hunt and fight to keep their fellow Clanmates safe."